Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Possible Windows Mobile on the PSP?

I've had some experience with PocketPCs back when it was available on three architectures. Here's my view on this. We would have to find out if Windows Mobile is available on MIPS. If it is, then we could possible virtualize it. If not, we either have to emulate an ARM CPU (not a good idea) or go with an earlier version of WinCE, like CE 3.0 (AKA "PocketPC" OS). I know for a fact that was available on MIPS since the Jornada was a MIPS-based PDA.

The other problem is the interface. WinCE does have provisions for touch-less interface, but it's very limited. You can use a D-Pad to choose things inside of windows, but for things like the on-screen-keyboard (OSK) we're out of luck. But as long as we're writing a virtualizer, we can probably convince it to translate the Analog Nub into a "cursor" (WinCE does not have a cursor, it only acknowledges taps) to show us where we will be clicking, then pass that function on to the CPU.

Now, here's another issue. The screen. I'm pretty sure no device running WinCE has touched 480x272, and I don't know if it can even handle that resolution. We might have to resort to 320x240 (or lower), so either we deal with less-than-optimal use of screen space, or we scale (which will use more CPU).

All in all, it's starting to look like if you want a portable console with PSP-like capabilities, but WinCE is a priority, nab a Gizmondo, since they have GPS built-in, and run WinCE (though to access the interface it requires a little hacking, or so I'm told).

If this happens, it might turn out just like running Win98 in Bochs. I'll just wait until PSP Linux actually happens.

You probably knew that, but I'm still posting this:

I've found this on a pda, and pocket computer forum...The post is from 2004, but it's the only thing I found:
    The resolution which is most commonly used are the following:
    240x160 (palm)
    320x240 (palm & windows mobile pre 2003v2)
    640x480 (windows mobile 2003v2)

The VGA-resolution sounds good to me, as at least the width is the same as the psp...

There's also a set of POSSIBLE resolutions. The problem is that if you go with VGA, you lose a lot of the vertical resolution, which makes the entire system quite hard to use. A better bet is 320x240, which at least fits vertical resolution.

Either way, I gotta be honest, I don't hold out out a lot of hope on this. MIPS isn't heavily used, so we might have to emulate ARM, then emulate the EXACT hardware used by a particular pocket PC, then we would still have to deal with issues like handwriting recognition, and I don't look forward to using the OSK with the analog nub. Linux with Qtopia would be a better bet (at least you can easily edit in some better OSKs)

Oh, BTW: Palm OS used 160x160 until Sony developed the Clié, when support for 160x240 and 320x240 were developed. When Palm OS 5 came out, Palm supported 320x320, until the Tungsten T came out, with the slider, when 320x480 was used. Either way, none of these resolutions really help us.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information