Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PS3 won't emulate PS2's success

Blog Entries

ps3 PS3 won't emulate PS2's success

Electronic Arts' chief executive Larry Probst has predicted that Sony will see a decline in its market share in the current console generation - but he still expects the PS3 to come out on top.

"We expect that there will be a more level playing field this time around than last time," Probst told an investor conference in the United States this week, according to the Reuters news agency.

Probst, who recently announced that he'll be stepping back from the CEO role at EA on April 2nd to allow former chief operating officer John Riccitiello to return to the company as its new chief executive, highlighted the "expensive" price of the PS3 as a key problem facing the console. He pointed out that the audience at Sony's E3 conference gasped when the US$ 600 price point was revealed.

via eurogamer

DCEmu Newbie

well.........honestly, i don't think any console will ever get the success of the PS2.......

like in terms of sheer number, wow, around 100 mill shipped around the world.....and most of them got sold and what not.

plus there's more competition this time around. last gen, the xbox and gc were superior consoles, but they had some big flaws.......xbox had no japanese support (this time they do), and the gc had a proprietary disc with little space on it....(wii kinda still has that...but at least theres a wii-mote now?)

Quote Originally Posted by Uchuu View Post
    and the gc had a proprietary disc with little space on it....(wii kinda still has that...but at least theres a wii-mote now?)
    Don't compare a true video game company with a company who also makes tv's, dvd's and other things.

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by JKKDARK View Post
    Don't compare a true video game company with a company who also makes tv's, dvd's and other things.
    Look, both the Xbox and the PS2 used DVD's. And due to that they were both able to get games with all features. There were quite a few multi-platform games the GC had that didn't have features it's Xbox/PS2 counter-parts did have.

Though the Wii itself is a weaker console, which means it demands fewer data space for it's game, it's games are still limited to just 4.7GB. That's not bad or anything, but it may just limit games for the Wii content-wise. You should know by now that there were lots of games last gen that surpassed 4.7GB, and those games should be no where near as advanced as what the Wii can support.

Though the 360 isn't using anything really new, it is at least using DVD9s, which holds 2x that space and MS has already showed that they're OK with the whole disc swapping idea (at least for RPGs... i wonder if they'll be as kind to a disc swapping thing for other types of games.....anyways).

And yea, I know you're most likely one of the people out there who despises the fact that the PS3 has blu-ray in it. It's true that the thing alone hindered the PS3 from it's launch up until now (since it add a lot to the price), but it does potentially give games up to 200GB of data space (though.....that wouldn't be great just due to the load times).

All i'm saying is that the Wii Optical Disc may just be something that hinders the Wii. The Wii is still a good console, but it does have it's flaws.

Just my opinion though.

Dreamcast discs have 1.2 GB and games relased on PS2/DC were better on Dreamcast (Grandia 2, Rez, Resident Evil Code: Veronica..)

Dreamcast discs have 1.2 GB and games relased on PS2/DC were better on Dreamcast (Grandia 2, Rez, Resident Evil Code: Veronica..)
    I think the look bad on PS2 cuz they were mere ports!

Prove it

DCEmu Legend

That is obviously your opinion that few people share. There was nothing wrong with Resident Evil: Code Veronica for PS2...

And if size didn't matter, as you seem so inclined to believe, where is the Dreamcast now? When does being a stupid fangirl stop and logical thinking begin?

Needless to say, if the DC was anywhere near as good as its fanboy and fangirls believe it to be, it would not have been the biggest console failure in history.

The Dreamcast isn't the biggest failure since it still get official games on Japan. In other words, Dreamcast is alive.
    And if you can read correctly, I said Dreamcast RECV was better than the PS2 version, I don't know where the fcuk you got your idea.
    Obviously, a console made by Sony or Microsoft will never die and will get always support from the best video games developers, since it's all about money.
    The only true company actually is Nintendo, who is a real video games company and make games for their users.
    I hope you can grow up and buy games with quality, not for quantity. And who knows, maybe you will be a real gamer.

DCEmu Legend

The Dreamcast isn't the biggest failure since it still get official games on Japan. In other words, Dreamcast is alive.
    And if you can read correctly, I said Dreamcast RECV was better than the PS2 version, I don't know where the fcuk you got your idea.
    Obviously, a console made by Sony or Microsoft will never die and will get always support from the best video games developers, since it's all about money.
    The only true company actually is Nintendo, who is a real video games company and make games for their users.
    I hope you can grow up and buy games with quality, not for quantity. And who knows, maybe you will be a real gamer.
    You're telling me to grow up? Your mindless diatribes about the DC and how Nintendo = the best is evidence enough of your imaturity. And since YOU seemingly can't read I will repost what I said about RECV:

That is obviously your opinion that few people share. There was nothing wrong with Resident Evil: Code Veronica for PS2...
    That aside, what's even funnier is the fact that you insult me as a gamer, for liking certain games over others. For the record, I have been a gamer since you were wearing diapers...

That aside, am I not a gamer because I buy Sony consoles and not Nintendo consoles? Or am I not a gamer because I never touched the DC? The fact that you would even entertain the idea that 8 games was made for the DC in the last 5 years means thats its still alive is just absurd. Once again the stupid fangirl comes out.

I thought only America was host to such stupidity, but I guess I was wrong.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information