Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Icarus News

DCEmu_Newsposter

Default Icarus News

The first Dreamcast emulator that screenshots were posted of but never released was Icarusand today at BooB!s forums CyRus64 posted these few bits on the Boob! Forums [br][br] Firstly Icarus is obviously not fake. Its very true that a commercial game was running over 2 years ago. Sadly my life has been mostly on hold since then, and I agree it is very disappointing no release has been made.[br][br]However you have of course got Chanka now which is good news for those of you in the wait - and do of course note that a lot of help has been provided by Zezu, Ector, and Felix to this project, so its not as if Icarus has had no impact on other emus.[br][br]The fact is in one's life, you do have to prioritise and getting a degree is kind of important. There is work going on with Icarus, and my exams are finishing soon... I really do hope to make a release as soon as possible (perhaps the summer but lets see how things go).[br][br]Chanka is great and since it is out there, there aren't any real obstacles for an Icarus release anymore.[br][br]It does disappoint me when people describe Icarus as a sad story - yes it is sad it hasnt been released, and maybe an early release was a good idea in retrespect, since ever since expectations have grown. However I would like to reiterate that when Icarus was started very little was known about the dc and thus the reverse engineering was that much more demanding. Chanka is excellent, and has in part been aided by experience / knowledge gained from Icarus, so in this sense Icarus isnt overall a sad thing imo.[br][br]Understand that in the emu scenes a lot of collaboration occurs, and so you cant necessarily treat them as totally distinct projects. [br][br]also this:[br][br] Depends how things go... by what ector says it is pretty fast now but since chanka has sound we'd probably need to get that working too and compat to sort out. [br][br]and finally this [br][br] I believe Crazy Taxi is near full-speed (but I dont know since I havent played with newest Icarus due to exams), presumably on a ~2ghz comp.[br]I'll let you know post-thursday [br][br]Well sound isnt too much of a problem since there have been some new docs around recently (which sadly we didnt have for the last 3 yrs! so things are more doable a bit more quickly now. Chanka guys have ector's gfx code already, so im sure if we have probs with it we can always get some help in return if needed . [br][br]Nice to hear from the Icarus Team once more.

Dream Coder

Default Re: Icarus News

its sad to see that after years of work to try to make an emulator that wouldnt just create a warez haven for DC that someone with their help releases one that obviously uses a lot of katana info (because it dosnt play ANY homebrew) and that can only play warezed games and destroys their goal. I myself hope that neither the Icarus team nor Ivan Toledo are discouraged by this and still continue work on their respective emulators so that devvers can have a viable emulator that actually emulates the system as opposed to just a program to play warezed games. no offense to the creators of chanka.
    If anyone is looking to buy, sell, trade games and support a developer directly at the same time, consider joining Goozex. Enjoy!

[quote author=quzar link=board=DCPCEmu;num=1085932897;start=0#1 date=05/30/04 at 20:27:24]its sad to see that after years of work to try to make an emulator that wouldnt just create a warez haven for DC that someone with their help releases one that obviously uses a lot of katana info [/quote]

1. *Chanka plays homebrew.
    2. *Cyrus used Katana for his own personal use to understand the DC more while developing Icarus, too.

I just wanted to clear that up before you said something else totally wrong *And for the record, using Katana for your own personal use is not a bad thing. Just like ripping your own games; if it's for your own use then no one else needs to hear about the exploits this is why I've been avoiding the Chanka coversations. They have become warezed-out.

I had to make a new post. The thing that is totally pissing me off is the fact everyone knew this was coming, but a few "sceners" all of a sudden are coming off as holier than thou like this was never going to happen. This is the environment we all were creating, so if no damn protective measures weren't taken then everyone need to shut the hell up. This is really, truly ridiculous.

We all created the environment for what is going on now. Live with it, or deal with it.

DCEmu Newbie

Yes, Chanka can play homebrew.....

[quote author=Vorrtexx link=board=DCPCEmu;num=1085815542;start=45#51 date=05/30/04 at 14:51:58]Revolver

[/quote]
    [quote author=Vorrtexx link=board=DCPCEmu;num=1085815542;start=45#52 date=05/30/04 at 14:53:18]KOS Tsunami Banner Example

[/quote]
    [quote author=Vorrtexx link=board=DCPCEmu;num=1085866366;start=15#23 date=05/30/04 at 15:44:11]DCastle Preview Demo.
    Menu displays fine. When starting game, No Response

[/quote]

Somehow this "press conference" of the Icarus team sounds like a joke to me... Is that an excuse for arriving late in the long run and now "Chanka has probably 80% of Icarus code in it so Garrofi only had to ask us for details so Chanka is not a distinct project [yeah sure, maybe we should call it Icarus 1/2?] and keep in mind that we are the only one to have done the hard work etc etc etc.."?
    Really, I am a veteran in the emu scene and I definitely don't like noob-like thoughts, but this time Cyrus' words sound exactly like this...
    And please forgive me, it's just a personal opinion.

Icarus??? What is Icarus???? :P ;D

Three years talking about Icarus....THREE YEARSˇˇˇˇˇ, and nothing.... ??? ???

This time, the FIRST AND THE ONLY Dreamcast Emulator for Pc is CHANKAST 8) from Garrofi, not Cyrrus (except Dreamer, Namco Museum, from Elsemi (Nébula).

The only thruth:

Chankast is a reality, from Spanish Emulation Scene for all around the world, and it´s only alpha version!!!!!!!!, in three months!!!!!!

Cyrus WILL USE Chankast emulator for developing Icarus!!!!!!!!!!!, incredible.... ;D ;D ;D

Probably Icarus could be the best Dreamcast emulator in the future, but Chankast was the first and nothing will change this.

8) 8)Spanish Powaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8) 8)

Pd: sorry, but my english is not fine

I don't care if I get banned for this: you guys are ass clowns. Cyrus didn't have to say anything but "damned if he does, damned if he doesn't"

You people make me sick. Really.

DCEmu Regular

Hmm I think it's sad all round i dont support the emulator in it's form now. plays homebrew thats a joke for now. It loads a few things and crashes and play 1 game.

Hows that playing any thing. Screen shot of the start menu's nothing happens on every thing i tryed. Just sits there doing fk all.

I respect Icarus emulator and why it was not released this type of thing 2 years ago there be no homebrew scene.

So im glad he waited at lest it was fun for a bit.

You know all this emulator will do is bring a bunch of newbies asking for isoz and say that game sucks it crashes. Im geting emails asking me how does it work and were do you get games and isoz.

Im the wrong person to ask.

Dream Coder

[quote author=nivaria link=board=DCPCEmu;num=1085932897;start=0#6 date=05/30/04 at 23:29:20]Icarus??? What is Icarus???? :P ;D

Three years talking about Icarus....THREE YEARSˇˇˇˇˇ, and nothing.... ??? ???

This time, the FIRST AND THE ONLY Dreamcast Emulator for Pc is CHANKAST 8) from Garrofi, not Cyrrus (except Dreamer, Namco Museum, from Elsemi (Nébula).

The only thruth:

Chankast is a reality, from Spanish Emulation Scene for all around the world, and it´s only alpha version!!!!!!!!, in three months!!!!!!

Cyrus WILL USE Chankast emulator for developing Icarus!!!!!!!!!!!, incredible.... ;D ;D ;D

Probably Icarus could be the best Dreamcast emulator in the future, but Chankast was the first and nothing will change this.

8) 8)Spanish Powaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8) 8)

Pd: sorry, but my english is not fine
    [/quote]

DCemu by Itoledo can play most homebrew and no real games, which is more legit? Also i have personally done nothing to encourage DC emulation. I think that it is something very unnecessary because it can ONLY promote warez. In theory you need to own a DC in order to get your bios, so why do this? you can already play "your legitamate backups" on your own DC, yet you cannot do so on this? I said no homebrew is playable and i mean it, just cause some things boot dosnt mean they play. Many major homebrews do not work at all. All those that were shown were either extremely simplistic or did not play fully. The fact that it boots homebrew is also fairly irrelevant since homebrew games when selfbooted use katana ip.bins which are different from wince ip.bins. sigh. whatever. i personally have nothing against it, only against the double standard of saying you cant talk warez yet you can talk about playing warezed games on an emulator that can only play warez.
    If anyone is looking to buy, sell, trade games and support a developer directly at the same time, consider joining Goozex. Enjoy!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information