Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Giri Giri free once again?

DCEmu Rookie

Default Re: Giri Giri free once again?

[quote author=curt_grymala link=board=off;num=1089220698;start=0#9 date=07/17/04 at 18:57:42]
    I think that guymelef was referring to BlueCrab's emu when he said "new saturn emu". *I may be wrong, but that's the way I read it.[/quote]
    Looked pretty obvious to me, he's talking about "Cassini". People think it's new, because they renamed it. It's still the hacked GiriGiri emulator. It's still illegal. Zophar USED to be all that - back when Zophar himself was still part of the show, years ago. They're hosting Cassini now at Zophar, and that's too bad. I mean, look at what they say about it in their saturn emu page, they seem to actually buy into that "new emulator" crap too:

"A new Sega Saturn emulator, Cassini is open source and its initial release has fairly high compatibility as far as compatibility is concerned. The commercial games that are playable run rather slowly, but it's still a relatively advanced emulator. If you're a Saturn fan, download it. There are separate source files for the core emulator and the frontend part of the emulator. Remember, as with all Saturn emulators, a BIOS is needed."

What a joke! I don't even care at this point what The Scribe has to say, because that kind of argument is full of holes. It's ok to distribute it because they don't object?? So if Sega doesn't object to me distributing their DC games (Sega-made games), it's legal, right?

Now, one final thing - if Sega OKs it, then and only then will it be legal. They're finally going to ask SOJ, too bad those clowns released the emulator all over before they asked!

Was Giri Giri a released emu ?

DCEmu Regular

Yeah Cassini isnt even the hack of GiriGiri I'm talking about in fact its still a hella lot worse than my friends hack. Hell this thing doesnt look like it has any improvements at all over the orginal release of Cyber Disk.

At least is has some source code which i might look into to see what they claim they've done for the emu.

DCEmu Rookie

[quote author=Hola link=board=off;num=1089220698;start=0#12 date=07/17/04 at 23:26:06]Yeah Cassini isnt even the hack of GiriGiri I'm talking about in fact its still a hella lot worse than my friends hack. Hell this thing doesnt look like it has any improvements at all over the orginal release of Cyber Disk.

At least is has some source code which i might look into to see what they claim they've done for the emu.[/quote]What do you expect? It's just a cheap hack! Have fun looking at their "source".

Dream Coder

Even if sega says its ok, or that they dont care, there is still a chance it is illegal, just less immoral, because it may require permission from the original author.

Hola - There is no source code. *There is dissasembled assembly. This is pretty much non-significant code that just so happens to run the game.

Eric- Giri Giri was originally an emulator just like any other. After some time, and it seemed to be the best saturn emulator out there, Sega contacted the author and bought it from him. In japan they planned to (and i think actually did?) release the emulator as a commercial emulator ( think bleem) for the saturn. HOWEVER, somehow someone leaked a copy and it got hacked to not need authentification from Sega and such and this is what is known as the Giri Giri hack( or Cyber disc which is apparently what Sega was calling it).

This new Cassini is either a further hack of the Giri Giri hack (which is probable since the non-hacked commercial version is impossible to find/use), a hack of the pre-Sega Giri Giri (doubtable, because it wasnt near as fast at that time, and they mention many times stuff about "Sega Code", or in an extreme situation it is also possible it is a branched hack of the actual commercial software, as opposed to a hack of the previous hack.

So, by my theory it is most likely:

GiriGiri (free) => CyberDisc/GiriGiri (commercial) => GiriGiri Hack => Cassini.

Yea. its 4am. night.
    If anyone is looking to buy, sell, trade games and support a developer directly at the same time, consider joining Goozex. Enjoy!

hmm thats pretty interesting i am now screwed right up in the head so do you think quzar that GiriGiri would be illegal to work with?

DCEmu Rookie

[quote author=Eric link=board=off;num=1089220698;start=15#15 date=07/18/04 at 05:55:56]hmm thats pretty interesting i am now screwed right up in the head so do you think quzar that GiriGiri would be illegal to work with?[/quote]Currently, yes. As I said before, it is irrefutably illegal. However, if Sega allows it, that changes everything. If you check out Cassini's homepage, you'll see what I mentioned earlier about them emailing Sega. But like I said before - it's too bad they released Cassini before they heard from Sega.

Dream Coder

yes it would be. also there is no source code. their "source" is just a copy of the exe but translated from pure binary into assembly. 'disassembled' source.
    If anyone is looking to buy, sell, trade games and support a developer directly at the same time, consider joining Goozex. Enjoy!

oh thats interesting so would this mean that people in the dcscene would be allowed to make a port of Giri Giri to dreamcast just a question i am not smart in this area?

Dream Coder

Giri Giri has no source. if sega were to release the source, then maybe it would be possible, but with the "source" from the cassini team it would be impossible.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information