Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Giri Giri free once again?

Default Re: Giri Giri free once again?

okay lol now i understand i told you i was dumb in those areas lol

Cant beleive it took me so long to get round to moving this into here, anyway theres slight further development on this situation & by slight I mean very slight, he's been told to contatc the legal depertment, heres what was said in the email he got:
    'Dear Mr. Barnito,

Thank you for your email.

All copyrights are held by SEGA Japan. You can request permission by contacting them by writing to:

SEGA Corporation.

1-2-12 Haneda

Ohta-ku

Tokyo 144-8531

Japan

Best regards

Thomas Taudien

SEGA Customer Service
    [email protected] <mailto:[email protected]> *
    Internet help line 09066 544 544 (premium rate)
    All other enquiries 08456 090 090 (local call rate)
    http://www.sega-europe.com

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: 15 July 2004 18:36
    To: [email protected]
    Cc: ; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]
    Subject:

To whom it may concern,

* *I am interested in the legal rights that Sega Enterprises holds on the GiriGiri Saturn Emulator Project. Considering it being a dropped commercial product, the recent takeover of Sega, and complete lack of it as a commercial emulator, we were wondering if in fact it is legal or not to reverse engineer it as a free emulator project. We would also like to inquire as to whether we might request a Source Code for it. After all sega has no use for it anymore, and the emulation community would love to get their hands on it and work to make it run 100% of Saturn games. Please keep in mind we in no way want to profit from this, we just want to keep the Saturn Emulation scene alive. We have been having legal debates with emulation sites all over the net, all of whom are claiming this emulator illegal. We understand the burden of proof is on us, and we absolutely don't want to continue this without a definitive answer to the question of it's legality. Please forward this to the SOJ legal department, as our project depends on a definitive yes or no answer as to whether we can continue legally.

Sincerely Yours,
    James R Barnito,

Cassini Emulator Project - *Reverse Engineering the Girigiri Emulator by Shinya Miyamoto and the Girigiri Team

NOTE: We do not advocate piracy. The emulator is intended to play legal backups of games people already own...'
    All info regarding the site has been edited from this

That's actually pretty interesting. The email could have been worded a little prettier, but I am actually somewhat surprised that the guy got any response at all from Sega. It will be interesting to see what type of response he gets from the legal department of sega japan.
    DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
    DC Evolution - Disc Images
    The DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.

LOL i was trying to tell you guys that it was even posted on methinks we can do without mentioning where it is

Dream Coder

Wait... It is intended to play legal backups... Can it not play real games?? :P
    If anyone is looking to buy, sell, trade games and support a developer directly at the same time, consider joining Goozex. Enjoy!

DCEmu Regular

Yeah I dont think he should of said "legal backups" he should of said originals.

Dream Coder

He couldnt have said originals. The thing is, there are ways to lock out any non-original saturn games, unlike most systems. Had he said originals then that would have been brought into question why they dont use those methods. I think there was an emulator Titan that only played original games.
    If anyone is looking to buy, sell, trade games and support a developer directly at the same time, consider joining Goozex. Enjoy!

DCEmu Regular

You can emulate the saturns system protect without it being illegal.

DCEmu Rookie

[quote author=Hola link=board=pcemulation;num=1090685636;start=15#27 date=08/10/04 at 09:58:27]You can emulate the saturns system protect without it being illegal.[/quote]
    Yes, but they didn't - which is Quzar's point.

DCEmu Regular

Well they probably dont have enough skill with reserve enginering to add it to girigiri as thats no simple task.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information