Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Quake2 DS Screenshots and News

Blog Entries

NDS Quake2 DS Screenshots and News

Simonjhall the coder behind the port of Quake to the Nintendo DS, has posted screenshots a video and news of his work on porting Quake 2 to the Nintendo DS:

SPREAD THIS NEWS

Heres the screens first

Heres the news and Video Link:

I've finally got Quake2 properly running on the DS and I thought I'd post a quick (and crappy) YouTube video. I am still getting Q1 pre2 ready, it's just that I wanted to take a break!

Anyway, linky: (will be up in a few mins)

In case you're worried, this is exactly the same kind of performance that I had when I first had Q1's software renderer running on the DS. However, I'm still not confident that similar performance can be obtained with this game - there's just too much strain on the system this time.
    This is more of a proof-of-concept, showing that a full-blown game can be run of the extended RAM provided by slot-2 solutions. Yeah, I know all about the 8-bit write problem :-)

Kinda worried about properly working on this game though, as Q1 has pretty much taken my free time for the last five months!

Comments? ;-)

SPREAD THIS NEWS

Awesome news eh

god damn! i'm glad i never put myself in the flaming line by saying Q2 wasnt possible, but his just blew my mind. Quake 2 on my DS. beyond words, simon. i salute you.

P.S. i havent bothered to try that <u>Other</u> quake build, cause yours in the ONLY one that counts.

Nice graphics! This coder is doing an amzing job!

Wow, the DS beat the PSP at something homebrew related. This will be AWESOME, but will I need the extra RAM cartridge?

better start working on Quake 3, it just became open source lol
    I don't go on here much anymore. Find me on GBAtemp.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by SSaxdude View Post
    Wow, the DS beat the PSP at something homebrew related. This will be AWESOME, but will I need the extra RAM cartridge?
    Yes, sorry. At the moment it's using up all the memory I can throw at it (4+32 megs) although I hope to get it running with the Opera expansion (4+8 megs). Oh and thanks very much for the comments :-)

P.S. i havent bothered to try that <u>Other</u> quake build, cause yours in the ONLY one that counts.
    Ta man, it means a lot :-) Looking back at pre1 I realise how shockingly bad it is! If you liked that then you'll love pre2!

DCEmu Rookie

Once I saw Quake1 ported and how similar is was to Quake2, I immediately had hopes for Q2. Q2 was the first FPS I got addicted to and played loads of multiplayer back in 2001 when I bought my first PC (350MHz). I might've still had 32MB RAM when I started and didn't have much trouble, I'm not sure because I upgraded to 512MB pretty quick.
    If you can get it working on a slot 1 device, such as R4DS which I have, without the RAM expansion (which I don't have... yet) I'll be a happy camper. Not that I'd be camping a lot in Q2DS.
    You have my full support on porting Q2, it's easily my second favorite FPS of all time (BF1942 is my first).

Are you kidding me, the DS can laod the official quake 2 pak file and the psp can't! Mad props to this coder, maybe he could work on a psp version too?

Quote Originally Posted by simonjhall View Post
    Yes, sorry. At the moment it's using up all the memory I can throw at it (4+32 megs) although I hope to get it running with the Opera expansion (4+8 megs). Oh and thanks very much for the comments :-)

Ta man, it means a lot :-) Looking back at pre1 I realise how shockingly bad it is! If you liked that then you'll love pre2!
    Hey, is it possible to get any extra Ram by using a slot-1 card" M3 DS Simply" ? if this is possible tell me how, If not is there any other way besides the Opera card? That would be so cool.

I have a little question. Are we going to be able to change the controls to the buttons rather than the Stylus, and will we be able to play online this, in my opion that would make this the best NDS homebrew EVER!!

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information