Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Quake2 DS Screenshots and News

DCEmu Newbie

asking too much already! haha

Sweet I got my SC SD today :thumbup: so hopefully this will work!

Guys, he's already stated that he can only barely get it working in 36 MB, so you're going to have to have some sort of RAM in slot-2 for it to work at all. Whether or not he can make it work in 12 MB (4 in DS + 8 from Opera RAM) is the real test. Either way, slot-1 users will have to buy some sort of RAM device for slot-2 for it to be even possible.

A custom graphics engine may even bump the speed to something playable. Probably he should think about using a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gouraud_shading based system, if he isn't already. This also shows the ever expanding possibilities for a PSX emulator... Sorry for changing the topic. The NDS isn't something to joke about two processors with the proper instruction given can handle almost twice as much information at once, sometimes even more based on cache. This little critter has to be the most smartest designed hand held ever, PSP although lacking revolutionary design has amazing brute force.

DCEmu Newbie

ps1 emulation isnt happening. this guy isnt emulated these games, he's porting them. much different than emulation.

great work tho.

Perhaps this is stupid question... I know The Super Card SD (slot-2) has some ram, but is it 32Mb? Does this thing work on Super Cards? and when will an alpha or beta be released?:thumbup:

The "DS is better than PSP" comments can stop now. The only reason this works is because of the extra RAM.

Simon has done a great job, but he's working with more RAM (36 MB) than the PSP has available (~20 MB after loading the executable).

If the PSP had a RAM upgrade we'd have Quake 2 already.
    My development blog:
    http://aaiiee.wordpress.com/

If you enjoy my homebrew work, please consider donating a few bucks.

Yo, Peter's totally right - 36 pwns 24 megs!
    Again, it's really early days, but on my Linux test builds (where I do have virtual memory) I can get the game to run in 10-20 megs.
    So 'all I've got to do' is replace all the virtual memory stuff with some crafty code, and the game will be sorted :rofl:
    Although hopefully going from the software renderer to using the DS' 3D hardware will be a lot easier this time as I've done it once before!

To answer the other questions,
    - in Q1 you can play without using the pen using DSDoom-style controls (not in pre1 though). Won't be hard to add control configuration to Q2
    - 'full' Supercards have 32 megs of RAM; I have one of these (miniSD) and an EZflash-5 RAM expansion. I'd like to get an Opera expansion as well as an M3 (and a G6?)
    - at the moment it requires a slot-1 FAT solution (I'm using the M3 Perfect), although it won't be too hard to get it running libfat and the extended RAM from the same slot
    - oh and *you will need* extra RAM to play this game (assuming I can be bothered to make it)

Wurd.

Good times, if you're ever in London simonjhall, I owe you a beer

Yo man, I live in London! Y'know there's gonna be a launch party for Q1, right? Or at least a pub trip ;-)
    Now if I could get a free beer from every person who downloaded pre1...

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information