Thread: Where are my 2D-HD games?

Dream Coder

Default Where are my 2D-HD games?

I, personally, feel that 2D has a long way to go, and that people dismiss it simply because early on it was all that was possible. I want to see a 720p or better 2D rpg. Imagine even just remakes of old RPGs with that kind of quality. Chrono Trigger, where the sprites are 128x64 instead of 32x16 or so. It seems to me that the last great 2D high resolution game was GGX. When will we see more. </rant>

Discuss.
    If anyone is looking to buy, sell, trade games and support a developer directly at the same time, consider joining Goozex. Enjoy!

AGREE. There's a tendance with nowaday 2d tactical-rpgs.. Sprites are relatively butched.. I think that skilled 2d sprites designer are rarer since the devellopement is rater on real 3d environnement. Its a shame. The last good looking 2d tactical rpg I played was Vandal heart on psx. The game was arty and so was the characters sprites. Some games like FF V-VI, chrono trigger, Dragon warriors, Castlevanias, Metroids ..etc, are now myths. They were nice looking and well made. Konami and nintendo tried to rebuild their classic in 3d.. castlevania and metroid rather than using the old 2d scroller way. The results weren't really good.

I and sure that there would be a significant market around 2d oriented games even nowaday. Nintendo's famous gba and ds have a majority of 2d games.

Here's something interesting I saw on another forum, basically how Super Mario World would look on HD:

Source: http://www.deviantart.com/view/24862520/

Dream Coder

That is so amazingly beautiful. Hrm, I never even thought about it, but it would be an interesting project to do an emulator that has a re-sprite system for high resolution replacement sprites. I know a few years back there was the emuDX project that took early arcade games and did sprite replacement on them (DK, PacMan, etc)

/me goes off to ponder...
    If anyone is looking to buy, sell, trade games and support a developer directly at the same time, consider joining Goozex. Enjoy!

if you go on xbox live, theyre remaking games and they are HD compatible. it was fun cuz i was playing pac-man and castlevania:symphony of the night in HD

Dream Coder

Quote Originally Posted by wolfpack99997 View Post
    if you go on xbox live, theyre remaking games and they are HD compatible. it was fun cuz i was playing pac-man and castlevania:symphony of the night in HD
    IIRC the only games on XBLA that are HD are HD Worms and Alien Hominid HD. All others simply allow for the stretching of games into HD, but aren't HD.

Thread Information