Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: vertical GD-rom drive

DCEmu Pro

Default vertical GD-rom drive

Will it do the dc GD-Rom drive any harm if I orient it in a vertical postion, im considerin doin a mod that would require the drive to oriented in this position as oposed to the normal horizontal position.

You'd be adding strain to the disc-spin motor when it starts to spin it, but this would be minimal and wouldnt make much differance. It may strain the laser when trying to stream data, this causes no permanent damage but means that it may have trouble reading the disc while the unit is vertical, this isnt definate so i'd say just test to see if it reads games that require alot of loading if it's fine chances are it being vertical won't cause a problem.
    This is just my opinion but i really cant see anything being damaged because of this. The PS2 doesnt run well vertical but that's due to the way it grips the disc as appose to the way the GD-rom assembly has a clip on thingy to hold the disc. DC should be fine vertical.

Whats the mod if you dont mind me asking?

DCEmu Pro

I'm considerin makng a toaster mod, post A-level exams, and am just doin a little research now, what you think ptr, oh master of the mods

a toaster mod? obviously im not as well versed as i thought i was, whats that? sounds cool whatever it is.
    Master of the Mods? lol.

DCEmu Pro

Um pretty much a DC inside a toaster. Only trouble is trying to get a toaster big enough. I just want it for the crazyness

oh right yeah ive seen that done with a NES, guess where you put the cartridge in

Should be good with a DC, how is the disc gonna eject?

DCEmu Pro

not sure yet, i'm wonderin if i'll be able to find a toaster with a big enough slot to fit the entire gd rom unit through, if i can i'll bring the entire unit throufg the slot and allow external loading (is there any way to extend the ribbon cable on the unit?) failing that i'll have to figure some way of loading the cd into it, hmmm, maybe i could butcher an old cd drive to get the loading mechaism. You know the slot type ones, like in cars.

strange...

i originally was gonna post on how you could use a slot type thing from a car, with a detailed description but then realised that it would be very difficult so just decided to ask you what were your plans...

However yeah, the slot type would be really good but you'd need to make a basic circuit to control the mechanism, and change the spindle that the disc sits on, it would be easier to replace the GD-rom drive with a CD drive that already was fitted to work with a slot type mechanism or a tray mechanism as they have the same sort of set up. but then you have the problem of getting lucky finding a cd laser compatible with the DC, alot of hit and miss really.
    What i thought would be good was if you could have a tray eject upwards out of the toaster slot, that would be slighlty easier as they're easier to get hold of and it wouldnt be too hard to fit the Gd-rom assembly in that sort of mechanism, the slot types out of car radios are usually really small. Also have a catch on the bottom of the tray like the PS2 has on the side of its disc tray.

Either way would be good.

DCEmu Pro

thanks for that ptr I think i will be needing some help when it actually comes to building it. But for now I have to get these pesky A-levels out of the way.

Yeah me too, had my first exam on tuesday, went alright. AS or A2?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information