View Poll Results: Do You Believe In Aliens?

Voters
38. This poll is closed
  • Yep, intelligent ones.

24 63.16%
  • Nope, I'm a retard.

6 15.79%
  • Yep, but non-intelligent ones.

7 18.42%
  • Not sure. I haven't taken any time to think about it

1 2.63%
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Do You Believe In Aliens?

An interesting side note on your avatar excruciationX, That picture has never been debunked.
    It was taken in 1952 and later colorized for a documentary done for NBC.

""Yeah, I know, that sounds silly.
    I read up on ufology. If anything else its a very interesting subject""

DCEmu Newbie

The very idea that we are totally alone in the vastness of the universe is almost as terrifying as it is ridiculous.

I won't pretend to be a physics genius, but I can clear up a little detail or two:

The Moon gives us tides - this isn't just proven, it's observable and has been 'known' for generations. It is widely held that without the moon - and therefore, tides - life may never have evolved in the first place!

Tides are mostly caused by the pivotal affect of what is essentially a dual-planet system (Earth+Moon) rotating around its barycentre (the centre of combined mass). However, the tides are also influenced to a lesser degree, by the gravitational force of the Sun.

The mass of the moon is calculated at 7.35 x 10^22 kilograms (or 74 quintillion(US numerical standard?) tons), which works out at about 1.23% (1/81) of Earth's mass. As its average distance from Earth (an elliptical orbit means that this distance varies) is 384,467km, I'm sure you agree that the measurable effect it has is quite remarkable.

With this sort of mass, it is unlikely that human mining operations could have a noticeable impact upon it over anything but the most substantial period of time.

There is one thing to consider; the Moon's average distance from Earth is increasing by 3.8cm a year (such precision of measurement is made possible by laser reflectors left upon the surface of the moon by the Apollo missions) as a result of transferred momentum - a rate that has exponentially decreased over the 4.6billion years the Earth is estimated to have existed. This means that it once had a far, far greater influence on the Earth's tides.

It is a generally accepted theory that the Moon will eventually find a stable orbit very far from Earth, leaving the Earth with a pronounced wobble. The timescale involved is astronomical, however.

A slightly related fact; the action of the Earth's oceans/tides upon the surface of the planet (combined with the transfer of angular momentum to the Moon) has a braking effect equivalent to about 2.3milliseconds every century (though this rate is non-uniform and unpredictable). While this doesn't sound like a lot, the rate of decelleration is increasing. In one millenium, the day will be over an hour longer!

As the human biological clock is based on a 25hr day and is adaptable only to shorter periods, this could spell catastrophe for our entire race (think jet-lag multiplied daily). It also means that over time, it will take greater fuel-loads (or lighter payloads) to launch craft into space as they rely greatly on the imparted angular forces nearest the equator to aid rocket launches.

It should be noted that the gradual settling of the Earth's shape into a more perfect sphere as its rate of rotation decreases (reducing the angular forces that cause the equatorial bulge) is the primary reason for the tectonic activity that gave birth to countless mountain ranges and their modern-day replacements (though not necessarily the only reason for all tectonic activity). The Tsunami that struck South-East Asia not so long ago is an example of a minor adjustment in the Earth's crust as it settled.

As the Earth slows, and gets nearer to a spere in shape, the resulting tectonic activity decreases - which is why the mountains we have now will probably be the last ever formed on this planet. Earth has reached maturity, and calmed in the process.

Once you reach maturity, its all a downhill ride to old age, right..?

One way or another, I doubt we have enough time to substantially affect the moon's mass before we near our own demise!

(I welcome corrections to my interpretation of the facts, of course)

On a side note, the Wikipedia has something to say about moon rights:
    Although several flags of the Soviet Union (scattered by Luna 2 in 1959 and by later landing missions) and the United States have been symbolically planted on the Moon, no nation currently claims ownership of any part of the Moon's surface. Russia and the US are party to the Outer Space Treaty, which places the Moon under the same jurisdiction as international waters (res communis). This treaty also restricts the use of the Moon to peaceful purposes, explicitly banning military installations and weapons of mass destruction (including nuclear weapons).

A second treaty, the Moon Treaty, was proposed to restrict the exploitation of the Moon's resources by any single nation, but it has not been signed by any of the space-faring nations. Several individuals have made claims to the Moon in whole or in part, although none of these are generally considered credible.

White Hawk, how the Hell old are you?

He's 29.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonicboy 101 View Post
    He's 29.
    Obviously a vary bright twenty nine year old.

Quote Originally Posted by ExcruciationX View Post
    Obviously a vary bright twenty nine year old.
    Yeah. white hawk has surprised me a few times,

fascinating sort really,

"off topic edit"

I just found this, http://www.coasttocoastam.com/gen/pa...ml?theme=light

It seems a man in New Mexico found this interesting Rock with a very interesting design on it.
    I could only assume its "native american" "possibly ceremonial" Its possible it could even be Mayan.
    Its more likely someone just felt creative and made this their selves, Still its very interesting, Take a look

Cool. The pattern looks organic. I had a look to see if there was any relevant geological information online that might aid in an analysis. Alas, quick searches are no substitute for a degree. (hehe)

Still, you're neglecting the possibility that the pattern could have natural causes..? Water may not seem obvious out in the desert, but that rock appears to show signs of weathering, and even prolonged water errosion; the deep, rounded gouges/grooves, for instance.

I found something similar while I was looking for possibilities. A different formation, maybe, but with intriguing details. This one even poses the possibility of a mysterious message; though the offered explanation seems most plausible. o.O

Cool

I suppose this could be natural causes, That's not the first thing that normally comes to mind when one sees a pattern this intricate, "Or at least, It took me a few minuets to study this, Before I decided this could be natural , lol. Still this piece belongs in a museum somewhere.

I also found this interesting piece of news, Which is of course, Off topic again lol.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6566317.stm

This article, explains how tiny microchips will be imbedded into plastic sheaths, "made into a kind of smart dust" to explore other planets.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowprophet View Post
    I just found this, http://www.coasttocoastam.com/gen/pa...ml?theme=light

It seems a man in New Mexico found this interesting Rock with a very interesting design on it.
    I could only assume its "native american" "possibly ceremonial" Its possible it could even be Mayan.
    Its more likely someone just felt creative and made this their selves, Still its very interesting, Take a look

most likely water erosion, proximity to molten rock[bubbles from volcano?] or even the remains of a moss, or lichen

or of course someone just had some fun

Thread Information