Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Veteran turned Noob Q's for 3.40 OE

DCEmu Newbie

Question Veteran turned Noob Q's for 3.40 OE

Howdy, I have returned from a great slumber and have come to see my saavy with the PSP has been seriously outdated. I've recently updated to 3.10 OE and thought I was finally "back in action" but now there's 3.30 and 3.40 OEs...

So do I really need to update and stay current? The only thing I'm doing with my PSP is Homebrew and PoPsing my old PS1 games I bought back in the day.

The only retail game I have is RidgeRacers (still love it), and I'm thinking about picking up Ultimate Ghosts n Goblins if my local gameshop can ever hold a used one long enough for me to nab. So if all this 3.XX stuff is for playing retail games, will I be cool with pickup on UGnG or will it autoupdate my system like MegaMan Powered up tried to? Lol i was in 1.50 during that heart-attack.

Anyway, sorry for all the questions, but I can't think of a better place to ask. My brain is fried

The only thing different from 3.10 oe-a is popstation is better in 3.30-40.

not a lot of difference really.
    PSN (PS3/PS4/Vita)/NintendoID - Triv1umx
    Steam - Rjinswand
    Runescape - Rjinswand

DCEmu Newbie

Interesting, what's better? Speed, compatibility? Now it looks like I've got good reason to upgrade, argh the nervousness about bricking this :T

Yes, speed and comatability are both the improvements. a few more features like reset are added to the pops too.
    Steam - Rjinswand
    Runescape - Rjinswand

DCEmu Old Pro

Also, you can now autoboot eboots from /PSP/GAME/BOOT in 3.40OE-A

Cloudy

Don't worry too much about bricking. As long as you take sensible precautions, updating to the OE custom firmwares is no more risky than running an official Sony update. Sensible precautions, for me, are:

1. Don't use cheap memory sticks. If you have a reasonable suspicion that your memory stick is a fake, then you have a higher risk of brickage (if it gives up the ghost halfway through installation)

2. do an md5sum of the data.dxar and check it against the one given in the readme before running the update. This checks that the file has been properly generated.

3. have a fully charged battery, your PSP plugged in, and no UMD in the drive.

I have no idea why the UMD thing is important, but I've heard a few people mention it, so I tend to follow it. To be honest if someone told me to do it with my left index finger touching my nose to discharge any possible static electricity I'd probably do that too since I can't afford to replace a brick.

Quote Originally Posted by SpooForBrains View Post
    1. Don't use cheap memory sticks. If you have a reasonable suspicion that your memory stick is a fake, then you have a higher risk of brickage (if it gives up the ghost halfway through installation)
    This is a VERY important one.. Ive heard of a few bricks from fakes.. Be careful

Quote Originally Posted by SpooForBrains View Post
    2. do an md5sum of the data.dxar and check it against the one given in the readme before running the update. This checks that the file has been properly generated.
    The flasher actually checks this, but it never hurts to check

---

Like spooForBrains said, do it right and you wont brick.
    Steam - Rjinswand
    Runescape - Rjinswand

Triv1um, just noticed your location. We're probably down the road from each other, heh. (I live in Erdington).

DCEmu Newbie

Wow, thanks for the awesome post guys, that really gave me a fresh wave of confidence, and a schooling at the same time

I've got a Sandisk memstick, I couldn't resist the price, but I bought it at a walk-in Fry's Electronics, and I'm certain they don't peddle shady goods. This begs the question, have you heard any horror stories about Sandisk? lol

Thanks again!

My 4GB Sandisk somehow died about two weeks ago, without warning. I dunno what happened there, I just wanted to put something on the MS and it wouldn't work, then when I looked at my PSP, the memory stick light wouldn't stop blinking.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information