Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sony Are Not The Enemy

Banned

Post Sony Are Not The Enemy

I have wrote this story exclusivly for Dcemu because i feel the site needs news articles from inside the site too, to go along with external news.

Sony, what do we know about them?

They created the Sony PSP for one thing, but many users hate them.

Users say that Sony are denying them the right to use the hardware that they payed for to its full potential. But are they? No.

Sony has made it there stance from day one that they were going to do there up-most to prevent piracy on the PSP console. It was the first Sony console to have any firmware updates, Sony clearly were not happy with all the piracy that the PS2 endured.

So every time a firmware is cracked to allow the illegal playing of ISO's and PS1 games from your memory stick, they release another update that fixes the leak.

Lets look at it from Sony's point of view, they make there money on software sales not hardware sales.
    So every time a firmware is cracked to allow the illegal use of software on it they are loosing money.

And because its a fine line between homebrew and Iso loading they have to block them both out of there official firmware, so they don't loose out on software sales.

Another side to it is Emulators, now the majority of emulators are legal, but another interesting legality issue has arisen.

Say Sony decided to support homebrew in official firmware, you could play all your Snes, Genesis, N64 etc games on your PSP for free.
    Nintendo of course now own the rights to sell some of those games on there virtual console for the Wii, so if Sony allowed users to play those games on there PSP's on official firmware, Nintendo could potentially sue them for it.

So to reflect, you can see why Sony cant allow Homebrew in Official Firmwares. We should stop focusing on that and give Sony there due's for creating such a revolutionary Hand-held console for us all to enjoy.

Don't forget, without Sony there wouldn't be a PSP so just remember that next time your ready to slate them

Did you like this article? (Please tell me if you did)

Give Feedback Via Comments

I like Sony they make the PSP fun to hack and enhance the PSP and I enjoy the battles between the hackers and Sony and they invented my favorite thing the PSP

"Sony has made it there stance from day one that they were going to do there up-most to prevent piracy on the PSP console. It was the first Sony console to have any firmware updates, Sony clearly were not happy with all the piracy that the PS2 endured."

Because the PS2 was such a crushing global failure, and piracy clearly destroyed all of Sony's profits.

Also their, losing, dues

Sony has made it there stance from day one that they were going to do there up-most to prevent piracy on the PSP console. It was the first Sony console to have any firmware updates, Sony clearly were not happy with all the piracy that the PS2 endured.

Should be utmost, not upmost

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by scarph View Post

Should be utmost, not upmost
    are you sure?

I like this article. I still fail to understand the misguided hate towards Sony. Especially since their systems always have good games.

nice article.

Go Sony!

Are you an idiot? Do you think most of the people here use custom homebrew firmwares for illegal stuff? You are totally wrong. I use a Game Boy Advance emulator dumping the bios from my own GBA, same for the games.

$ony aren't completley in the wrong for blocking firmware downgrade but I gotta blame some one for not being able to downgrade my PSP and enjoy the magical home of homebrew.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JKKDARK View Post
    Are you an idiot? Do you think most of the people here use custom homebrew firmwares for illegal stuff? You are totally wrong. I use a Game Boy Advance emulator dumping the bios from my own GBA, same for the games.
    Im not saying everyone uses it for illegal stuff, that would be naive.

What im saying is that, the small majority that do use it for illegal stuff are whats causing Sony to take this stance on it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information