Thread: fMSX-PSP 3.1.2 - MSX Emulator for the PSP

DCEmu Coder

psp fMSX-PSP 3.1.2 - MSX Emulator for the PSP

Hi everyone,

I've released a new version of fMSX-PSP. Here are the new features:

* Added support for cartridge type selection in the System menu. This adds support for games like Zanac Ex, which are not detected correctly
    * Preliminary ZIP file support. Emulator will load ROM or DSK files from a ZIP file, provided there's only a single compressed file per ZIP. System ROM's must still be uncompressed (or GZIP compressed)
    * GZip file support - emulator can load cartridges and disk images from gzip compressed files. Save states are also much smaller in size
    * GUI changes, wording changes

You can download the program here:
    http://www.akop.org/psp/fmsx/

Thanks

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

DCEmu Newbie

Thumbs up

Hi UberJack,

It's great to see an update already to a very promising emulator!

I have two main issues with the emulation:

1) Lack of 50hz support

This was the main screen refresh rate for European MSX computers. Most games on fMSX-PSP run 20% to fast for me now because of the 60hz timing. I posted more information about it in ZX-81's forum here:

http://forums.qj.net/showpost.php?p=1440296&postcount=8

It would be great if you could add support for 50hz to fMSX-PSP (according to ZX-81 there's already subcode for it in the fmsx sources).

2) The sound on fMSX-PSP is poor compared to a real MSX
    This is probably hard to explain, but I suggest running fMSX next to a real MSX or BlueMSX for example. Then you can't miss it (e.g. the "hisses" from the PSG are much too harsh and crowding out SCC sound on Konami games).

If I remember correctly there were seperate sources available on the internet by a Japanese guy who made the soundchip emulation much better. I think these improvements have been included in emulators like BlueMSX for PC ( http://www.bluemsx.com/ ) and also the latest releases of ZX-81's PSP-MSX (though somehow still not as good as BlueMSX). Sadly I can't find the reference via google, but it must be somewhere...

Hopefully you'll consider updating the sound emulation core, as it would enhance the MSX experience by a mile

Lastly your video emulation seems to be almost perfect (still need to do some more testing though), as the scrolling of MSX2 logo on MSX reset for example is ultra smooth (like the real thing), and better than ZX-81's PSP-MSX. Of course not to forget about the very nice and clean menu layouts. Very good job in general.

Looking forward to future upgrades of this emulator :thumbup:

50hz support would be great, though this is already a great program. i hope it just keeps getting better.
    thanks for the update

nice work keep it up !
    here is my blog !

Quote Originally Posted by Shadoks rule
    The more you fail, the more you have a chance that it will work in the end.

DCEmu Coder

Hi JBurton,

50hz support is certainly something that needs to be addressed in the next release. I will also do my best to add good sound support - I definitely agree that current PSG and SCC support leaves a lot to be desired for.

Thanks

Great work uberjack! This emulator is super smooth. This got me playing Metal Gear 1 & 2 again....and I'm going to play Snatcher for the first time, which brings me to my question.
    How do I start Snatcher? I have the following DSK files for the game:
    -Snatcher0.dsk
    -Snatcher1.dsk
    -Snatcher2.dsk
    -Snatcher3.dsk

I load Snatcher0.dsk and I get the titles screen art, but I can't get past it. I already tried every single key on the emulator's keyboard and nothing happens. Anybody know what to do here?

Thanks again for the great emulator....I never knew MSX Castlevania was THAT hard and annoying.lol

Sorry for the doobie, but...anyone know how to get past the SNATCHER title screen? What keys to press? I really wanna play this Kojima Oldie, I've heard it's really good.
    Thanks!

Thread Information