Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Where Sony went wrong..."

ps3 "Where Sony went wrong..."

via PS3 Fanboy

We all know that Krazy Kenny K officially announced that he was stepping down from his PlayStation empire this week, signaling the end of an era and the end of an explosive career. It doesn't take a genius to realize that Kuturagi is scape-goat #1 for any and all of the PS3s alleged failings (which include, but are not limited to, high production costs, launch shortages and lower than desired post-launch sell-through.)

Given the abrupt end to the Kuturagi saga, the analysts are already coming out with their takes on "what went wrong." Business 2.0 writer Chris Taylor has plenty to say on how Sony lost their lead and has "lost this round of the console wars to its Japanese rival, Nintendo's Wii." While we think it's too early to be making those kind of calls, the article is interesting -- even if we don't agree with the analysis in whole (or even in large part). For our lazier readers, Business 2.0 provides these key lessons from Sony and Kutaragi's PS3 development:

• Focus on making a better controller, not relying on the same "handheld mess of buttons" (i.e. Dualshock design = failure)
    • Don't put drives in your console that are too slow to properly load games (I'm not making these up)
    • Build a console that only costs $150 like the Wii (they have since corrected this little doozy of a detail)
    In the end, it turns out that this is really an article about what Nintendo may have done right. And there's no doubt that Sony has done -- and is doing -- some things right as well. We'll see how that plays out in the months and years ahead. Then we'll declare a winner (that's your cue, Xbox fanboys... attack!).

Quote Originally Posted by YKB View Post
    via PS3 Fanboy

We all know that Krazy Kenny K officially announced that he was stepping down from his PlayStation empire this week, signaling the end of an era and the end of an explosive career. It doesn't take a genius to realize that Kuturagi is scape-goat #1 for any and all of the PS3s alleged failings (which include, but are not limited to, high production costs, launch shortages and lower than desired post-launch sell-through.)

Given the abrupt end to the Kuturagi saga, the analysts are already coming out with their takes on "what went wrong." Business 2.0 writer Chris Taylor has plenty to say on how Sony lost their lead and has "lost this round of the console wars to its Japanese rival, Nintendo's Wii." While we think it's too early to be making those kind of calls, the article is interesting -- even if we don't agree with the analysis in whole (or even in large part). For our lazier readers, Business 2.0 provides these key lessons from Sony and Kutaragi's PS3 development:

• Focus on making a better controller, not relying on the same "handheld mess of buttons" (i.e. Dualshock design = failure)
    • Don't put drives in your console that are too slow to properly load games (I'm not making these up)
    • Build a console that only costs $150 like the Wii (they have since corrected this little doozy of a detail)

mess of buttons?
    i think games load up quite fast
    the Wii isnt worth the money

That bull s#@t..

Focus on making a better controller, not relying on the same "handheld mess of buttons" (i.e. Dualshock design = failure)
    dualshock design isin't perfect. I don't get why 2 stick anyway. Still, its far from a failure.

Don't put drives in your console that are too slow to properly load games
    That a retard argument.
    A game loading from hdd run slower than a game running from a disc ? LOL sure... We all know that a console with HDD included is *way* better than ones not supporting such device. Look at the fat PS2 (HDD + exploit + HDD loader), look at the Xbox with soft or chip moded.. Add XBMC and homebrew = you get a cool and cheap multimedia system.

Having a hdd gives a lot more options for us. Can you imagine your PSP with out any mem card storage slot? :X Wii dosen't support HDD... That is sad.

Build a console that only costs $150 like the Wii
    Certandly the worst argument ever.

PS3 huge hits aren't out yet. That kind of analyse worth nothing.. Smell very ''anal'' too.

The PS3 price will be coming down very soon. That is an estimate but I know that production costs are dropping quickly so if they don't lower the price then they will start making more and more money on each console sold.

Quote Originally Posted by mavsman4457 View Post
    The PS3 price will be coming down very soon. That is an estimate but I know that production costs are dropping quickly so if they don't lower the price then they will start making more and more money on each console sold.
    That is almost laughable. Sony make money on PS3 console sales, hahahaha. More like make money on blue-ray disc sales, and lose money on console sales.

But seriously, if you consider yourself a true sony fanboy, you had better pray that consumers will not buy the soon to be $200 stand alone HD-DVD player over the the $600 PS3 blue-ray player.

thats your cue, sony fanboys....attack.:rofl:

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by slappy1 View Post
    That is almost laughable. Sony make money on PS3 console sales, hahahaha. More like make money on blue-ray disc sales, and lose money on console sales.

But seriously, if you consider yourself a true sony fanboy, you had better pray that consumers will not buy the soon to be $200 stand alone HD-DVD player over the the $600 PS3 blue-ray player.

thats your cue, sony fanboys....attack.:rofl:
    this town is funny!

$200 movie player is equal to $600 games console!

i agree!

Please do not feed the trolls. First you let them eat a few breadcrumbs outta your hand, next thing you know they're eating babies.

I absolutely hated the controller. No rumble pack, horrible feel....*Shudders*...

I don't know about load time except resistance took a while.

Really, only the absolute fanboys care about a format that will be overriden. Take the Blu-Ray drive out, make it seperate. That should lower the price near $250.

when i heard about sony taking the rumble feature out of their controller, i said "thats the most retarded thing they could of done. wow." i dont have a PS3 but i know theres a ton of things that could of been better about it.

when i heard about sony taking the rumble feature out of their controller, i said "thats the most retarded thing they could of done. wow."
    Its not like if they had a choice..

''In 2002, Sony and Microsoft were sued by force-feedback company Immersion for patent infringement for the use of vibration functions in their controllers. Specifically, they were accused of infringing on claims in U.S. Patent 6,424,333 and U.S. Patent 6,275,213 (filed 2000 and 2001 as extensions of U.S. Patent 6,088,017 , itself filed 1998, all "Tactile feedback man-machine interface device"). While Microsoft settled out of court, purchasing a 10% share in the company, Sony continued to defend the case. Their defense centered on a force feedback controller patent which Sony licensed from Logitech during 1998. Sony lost and was required to pay considerable retroactive royalties (approximately $91 million) to Immersion, for the seven years that the DualShock controller had been on the market, and suspend the sale of the controllers in the United States (including all PlayStation and PlayStation 2 console packages containing them).'' wiki

They should have followed M$ on that case.

Personaly, don't really bother.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information