Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dang! Where can I find a ready-to-boot disc juggler image for DCLinux?

Exclamation Dang! Where can I find a ready-to-boot disc juggler image for DCLinux?

Hi!

Unfortunately, I have looked EVERYWHERE for a ready-to-boot disc juggler or nero image for DCLinux. I tried the boob! website, but the downloads server has been down forever and I really want to get Linux on my dreamcast without going through a lot of fuss with "compiling" my image. Please note that I use MS Windows on the PC that I intend to burn the image on. Unfortunately, the instructions on burning the image are geared towards linux users. WHAT MADNESS! Also, why can't I find the ready-made image anywhere (including the m17n.org website which has shut down recently)? Can somebody upload the cdi to RapidShare or MegaUpload so I can nab it and be in Linux heaven on the Dreamcast? Thank you for your help!

EDIT (05/08/2007): I tried bittorrent too. No dice! I also looked m17n.org up on the Internet Archive and I thought I hit the jackpot... but the download wasn't working.

EDIT 2 (05/08/2007): The file I am looking for is dclinux.cdi and it is roughly 300 MBs or so in size. If anyone has access to the file, please upload it to RapidShare or MegaUpload and post a link to the download!

Guru

Well, there's a recent ISO of NetBSD:

http://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/Net...castcd-3.1.iso

You could try burning it with the most recent version of BootDreams:
    http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=62403

...been checking google and my backups: I have to second your request. Does someone have a Linux distribution we could host here or at DCEvolution.net ?

Wait! How do you use this tool? Is there a HOW-TO on this software?

Guru

DCEmu Newbie

The old linuxdc cdi image is based on the 2.4 tree which is a set of ugly hacks and really unstable.
    I really encourage the developers here to help writing kernel drivers for the current development tree @ kernel.org. They merged the linux_sh add-on tree (used to be on sourceforge) with the offical git a while ago. So far the only dreamcast related code is the powervr framebuffer and the broadband adapter drivers. If you want to see a working stable linux distro for dc, we need a gdrom, maple bus, keyboard/mouse driver. Then we can compile our own distro

Quote Originally Posted by RhapsodyGuru View Post
    Wait! How do you use this tool? Is there a HOW-TO on this software?
    Install, load the .iso, burn to CDR.

Ok... that still doesn't answer my question. Do I need an IP.BIN file and a 1ST_READ.BIN file?

Guru

No, BootDreams 1.0.3 can burn the .iso which already contains the ip.bin (bootsector) and 1st_read.bin (executable).

Btw, MapleBuster came up with this link: http://dcemulation.com/dl/dl.php3?ur.../linuxdcdj.zip

It's not what we are looking for, but at least it is something.

So you are saying that the NetBSD iso ALREADY has the IP.BIN and FIRST_READ.BIN files included? In that case, do I click the button on BootDreams that says "Burn CD Images"?

yes. if you downoad a .iso or a .cdi or a .nrg (popular image extensions), all you have to do is load them with you burning program (nero or disk jugglar or boot dreams or powerISO, or Alcohol 120% and etc) and hit burn. but i'm not sure if boot dreams can do Iso s, If you cannot get it to load, download the Alcohol 120% trial (google burning cd images for more help in greater detail)

Question

Hm, that's odd! I tried burning it the way you said and I just created three coasters! All of a sudden, I just realized something. THE ISO DOESN'T HAVE TWO TRACKS! IT ONLY HAS ONE! Well that just does it. How the heck am I supposed to integrate the boot files on the image?!?!?

This is just getting too confusing.

Guru

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information