Thread: C or LUA

Default C or LUA

i've recently decided to teach myself a programming language, and the 2 that everyone seems to use are C and LUA. I figure C is harder to learn, but has way more versatility, while LUA is easier to learn, but has limitations.

any thoughts on which would be better to learn?

o_0 or maybe BOTH?

C++ actually. i am a total programming noob and have started to learn. it is easier to do this than learn lua then make the jump to c or c++ because you could get confused. get the C++ For Dummies book from the library, it has a compiler and everythging on a disc along with some snippets of code and extra crap!

GP2X Coder/Moderator

Lua. C and C++ has too many language specific details that make it really hard for beginners to work out certain bugs that don't make any logical sense from a high level perspective. No seasoned C or C++ programmer would ever recommend it for a complete beginner to learn.

Honestly, if you really really serious about learning to program, then you forget anything developing on the PSP until you are more experienced.

Python is a very nice language to learn in that respect. Nice high level, full featured language that has a good learning curve.

The trick is learning to program rather then just learning the language to solve specific problems.

C++ for the win download Dev C++ ad bloodshed.net its an IDE(integrated developing environment) LUA is scripted and requires and interpreter to run although I recommend you become fluent on the pc before moving on to other platforms as yauster has said.

listen to yaustar. Hes gave you advice on what to start on

PSN ID: splodger15

well thanks for the responses everyone, i've decided to start on LUA untill i've got a good hand on programming.
    one thing though, can LUA make a 3-d game that has 2-d character sprites (like ragnarok online, if you've ever played it)?

GP2X Coder/Moderator

Yes.

well im sold, and already learning a lot about LUA at the moment.

thanks for your help everyone

Thread Information