Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: PSP: Daedalus R12 - New Goldeneye Update: Game running! (10 May)

DCEmu Pro

psp PSP: Daedalus R12 - New Goldeneye Update: Game running! (10 May)

StrmnNrmn has posted the fourth update post in 24 hours, this time with even greater news:

Ok, I know the last thing I said yesterday was:

Anyway, given the work involved Goldeneye isn't an immediate priority, but I am thinking about it.

I couldn't quite resist having a quick hack to see if I could get Goldeneye working using the third method I outlined. It turned out to be relatively painless to crowbar in the required changes, and I'm pleased to say that I've managed to get Goldeneye booting again!

With the changes, Daedalus now dynamically pages the Goldeneye ROM into the PSP's RAM so that it no longer requires a free 12 MiB. I now check the instruction pointer on every instruction fetch in the interpretive core*, and raise a TLB Read Miss exception if required. If this happens, it causes Goldeneye's exception handler to realise that the required code isn't in memory, and to load it in from ROM before continuing execution.

So here are the first screenshots of Goldeneye running under Daedalus R12 - you can see there are a handful of graphical glitches to sort out, particularly on the main menu:

Not bad for an hour's work!

There's still quite a long way to go though. Firstly, I can still only get the rom running with dynarec disabled on the PSP, so the framerate is currently just 6-7 fps. Interestingly it runs fine with dynarec on the PC with the same set of changes, so this indicates a bug somewhere in the PSP dynarec implementation. Secondly, I've not been able to get in-game yet - it just seems to hang with a black screen shortly after starting to load the level. I've not figured out whether this is just running very slowly without dynarec and taking its time, or if there's another bug to be fixed somewhere.

Getting the rom booting is a great first step though - it can only continue to improve from here

-StrmnNrmn

*I probably want to tidy things up to avoid doing this for most other roms as it can be quite expensive - especially if dynarec is disabled.

Don't forget to leave a thank-you comment at StrmnNrmn's blog! Fantastic work!

holy snot i want R12 so bad

now he just has to work on perfect dark

amazing work

StrmnNrmn pwns

great work as usual cant wait for r12

ya, they are coming out well fast now, i might just start getting 1 in every 2 releases!

Perfect Dark was a stupid copy of Goldeneye, it's not as good as 007. I just hope he gets Diddy Kong Racing's graphical issues fixed so it's playable. It runs pretty fast when you look at the FPS counter, just can't see anything in-game. I love these Goldeneye and SSB updates but wasn't R12 supposed to be a speed update, lol? Hey if he gets these games working like he is now this emulator is going to be VERY good VERY soon. I'm not saying it's not a work of art now but if he just keeps this up he'll have a bunch of games working with pretty good speed for R12.

cool golden eye!

Can't wait for R12!

DCEmu Regular

WICKED!!!!!!!!!!!! ive been wanting this to run for over a year now, had 4 PSPs in 2yrs lol

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information