Thread: The Fanjita Monologues - Homebrew and Hacking

Blog Entries

psp The Fanjita Monologues - Homebrew and Hacking

Fanjita has been interviewed by the Skinny:

Heres an excerpt:

Court continues: "In the beginning, there weren’t many people doing the serious work, but as things have progressed, those of us doing the decrypting have developed quite a close-knit group." Indeed, it is this close-knit group which has managed to crack the latest Sony update (which generally try and lock out homebrew from the console) before it was even available for download on the English servers, something which used to take many weeks. An impressive feat, but one that begs the question: if the updates can be hacked so quickly - and given that their point, for the most part, is to keep the homebrew scene out - why does Sony still bother with them?

"We're not sure why. After all, they have opened up the PS3 to the homebrew scene," Court is referring to the ability of the PS3 to run Linux, an open operating system which effectively lets users run their own programs on the console. "It's symptomatic of Sony’s whole attitude to the consumer. They have a general disdain for the end user: “You will take what we make, and you will think its cool.” It's where they are falling down with the PS3. It doesn’t excite me, and then you can’t afford one.’ True that.

yea, the psp homebrew sceen has gotten WAY! bigger since i started with it. i started back in 05 on a 1.5 psp, there wasnt much people back then, now there is a HUGE commuinity. im glad to see so much.

so major points of the psp homebrew history were...

when the psp came out

when 2.5-2.6 hacked gta eloader

when psp lua was invented

the first custom firmware by dark alex

DCEmu Regular

I agree buddy4point0 i started out way back in 05 also and there was like nobody the only people that were hacking were everybody on fanjita's irc channel now there are millions of homebrew websites. The only reason i ever looked upon homebrew was because like most other people i wanted the free solution and not pirating so homebrew took that space and i headed for it and have been happy ever since.

DCEmu Old Pro

yeah i also agree, back in 05 there wasnt much, so i updated my psp to 2.71 homebrew was, very boring and all the emulators never ran full speed, and full speed gba emulation was a dream away

also, FULL PS1 emulation caused people to say "WTF you retarded?"

DCEmu Legend

I started in '05 as well. What really peaked my interest was seeing that Super Nintendo could be played on PSP. I thought that was the most amazing thing. Fortunately, the MPH 2.00 TIFF downgrader came out because before I discovered homebrew I upgraded to 2.00 for the Web Browser, lol.

So basically, Snes9xTYL 0.2C is what got me hooked to homebrew and the rest as they say, is history...

Its hard now to envision the PSP without a homebrew scene and gives me renewed appreciation and respect for Fanjita and all other talented coders that have contributed and still contribute to the scene.

DCEmu Newbie

its cool to see everyone reminising about homebrew
    im new to homebrew but the whole reason i got a PSP is that it could play homebrew meaning i could sell my GB SP to get one lol

I started sometime in Fall 05, though I had my psp since Summer 05.

SNES emulator peaked my interest the most, than the NES and GBC.

Thread Information