Thread: SOCOM: Tactical Strike Hands-on

Blog Entries

psp SOCOM: Tactical Strike Hands-on

Though franchises like Gran Turismo, God of War, Ratchet and Jak, along with third-party franchises like Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy, are the tops of Sony's exclusive titles list and help sell more systems than pretty much anything else on any of its platforms, arguably the most important series from a technical standpoint is SOCOM. The series helped launch the PlayStation 2's Network Adapter and headset support, and pushed the PSP's networking capabilities further than any other title. And let's not forget that it also introduced the underutilized voice support on the handheld system. So it's no surprise that the series is seeing another PSP release this year that will continue to push some changes.

But this isn't the SOCOM that you might be expecting. Rather than sticking to its first/third-person shooter roots, SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Tactical Strike is more of a strategy game, though one that features just as much action as its predecessors. Indeed, this isn't your father's turn-based strategy title where every move is thought out and planned to perfection, but rather a reactionary title that tasks you think on the fly while bullets whiz around your squadron's heads.

Full article

DCEmu Regular

Ohh boy doesn't sound like i'm gonna like it but deffintaly a new twist on the series. I'll rent this when it comes out and then maybe buy it.

hm i dont know about this, it sounds a hell of alot different from previous versons

I love Socom because I like very good games. And I don't think Socom will take out this love I have for it now. I'm sure this will be as great as the others,or maybe better. I'm waiting for this,and for the PS3 version as well.

I was never a big fan of 3D Shooters, but SOCOM is truly great and has the best controlls yet seen on PSP first person shooters.

Looking forward to this!

I hope that this socom game is better than socom: fireteam bravo...

socom games are boring. but to each his own

Maybe this will be the first PSP SOCOM to feature teams bigger than two people, finally.
    Y'know, I never really enjoyed the single player of the SOCOM games, but Fireteam Bravo definitely blew my mind with its Infrastructure mode. Now Medal of Honor: Heroes surpasses it. But playing Fireteam Bravo online is still always fun.

jaws365, SOCOM is just a third-person-shooter with an optional first-person-view that it often permanently breaks out of when performing an action. Also, you've obviously never played any other PSP FPS if you think SOCOM has the best FPS controls.

Thread Information