Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sony Sued in Blu-ray Patent Dispute

Default Sony Sued in Blu-ray Patent Dispute

Via All Headline News

Irvine, CA (AHN) - Target Technology has filed a lawsuit against Sony, alleging the entertainment company's Blu-ray disc format infringed a patent lowering the cost of optical discs. The lawsuit, filed in Southern Indiana U.S. District Court, requests a permanent injunction and damages.

Blu-ray discs are used by Sony's PS3 and high-definition DVDs. The Target patent enables the reflective layer of optical discs to use silver-based alloys rather than more expensive gold. The silver-based material is also more corrosive-resistant, according to Cnet's GameSpot.

The lawsuit doesn't say whether all or just some Blu-ray discs infringed the patent. Target was granted the patent in March 2006 after it was filed in 2004.

Sony declined comment, Cnet reported Friday.
    PSN (PS3/PS4/Vita)/NintendoID - Triv1umx
    Steam - Rjinswand
    Runescape - Rjinswand

haha, sony is trying to get money anyway they can cause of the ps3 failure, too bad they got sued for it lol

DCEmu Legend

Target Technology is just looking to get some easy money. I hope the entire Blu-Ray Association smites these bastards.

I really love how society works. I am quite certain Sony applied for a patent on its BD reflective coating material, and yet the patent office didn't tell them there was already a patent on it?

So is everyone just supposed to stop inventing, advancing and improving on technology because there is no easy way to find out what products there are patents on?

Damn patent squatters!

Well isnt that what every sue is about?

If there was no money no-body would bother sueing.
    PSN (PS3/PS4/Vita)/NintendoID - Triv1umx
    Steam - Rjinswand
    Runescape - Rjinswand

DCEmu Old Pro

Seriously, if they knew about bluray ages in advance, why didn't they sue before?

Cloudy

DCEmu Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudhunter View Post
    Seriously, if they knew about bluray ages in advance, why didn't they sue before?

Cloudy
    Because, they wanted to wait until Blu-Ray has earned some serious cash and gained a good foot hold before suing.

Heres the reason from the article I read from Gamespot, which has more information than the one posted by the OP:

Target is seeking a permanent injunction preventing Sony from violating its patent rights in the future, as well as damages with interest, multiplied due to what it characterizes as deliberate and willful infringement.
    Now this has some MAJOR repercussions (if Sony did violate any patents). First off, Sony wont be allowed to use the method or material in all future Blu-ray discs if this suit wins out. Secondly, they want Damages WITH Interest MULTIPLIED by (some number) due to "willful infringement". Since the patent for Target Technology was granted March of 2006, that gives them almost a year's worth of interest to rack up on...

I believe that if a company waits that long to file patent infringement cases, they should merely be dropped entirely. Because all that is doing is creating a system where people would rather wait to collect interest than have to save their business.

And also, if said company really made a disc reflective material (that, as far as I understand, can only be used in Blu-Ray discs) why didn't they bring this to Sony or the BR Association before?

Seems to me that this company got wind of the only way to make a reflective coating for the 'future' Blu-Ray discs (the patent was filed in 2004, even though it was granted in 2006) and was HOPING for this.

It would be like hearing about prototype hydrogen cars, then producing the only cost effective and feasible method of building a hydrogen engine's fuel injectors, patenting it and then suing any and all companies for using those same injectors later on, when they realized they are the best way to go.

i thought sony created such disk and the rights of such technology me confused

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information