Thread: Battery won't charge on PSP

DCEmu Newbie

Default Battery won't charge on PSP

I just got me a used PSP. The battery doesn't seem to charge when using the dual USB/Charger cable hooked to the computer. The amber light comes on to show it's getting juice, but after an hour, it still is hovering at 20% left in the battery - same as when it was plugged in to the comp. to charge.

Also, when the PSP is on, and I plug in the power adapter, it shuts off.

Lastly, with the battery removed from the PSP and the power adapter plugged in, the green light turns on for a second then shuts off.

Are these all normal for the PSP? My first time around with the thing. . .

Suggestions?

TIA!

DCEmu Newbie

well that might explain why the person tryed to sell their psp >> you can always just go buy another battery for the psp.

I saw a possible fix for this: short the + & - on the battery for a couple of seconds then recharge,

What happens when you use the proper AC adapter (wall socket) charger?

Edit:
    The fact that it turns off when the USB DC-in is connected and that it will not power up without the battery lead me to think that either the USB charging cable is just not supplying enough amps to run the psp standalone nor charge the battery very quickly, or something is odd in the PSP itself. I'm guessing when you plug something into the DC-in socket and it detects 5V then it switches to that as a source, if the USB cant supply the current it wants then it shuts down (just a guess).

I tried on my own PSP, it will power up fine without the battery but with dc-in.

I also found this "The USB specification provides a 5 V (volts) supply on a single wire from which connected USB devices may draw power. The specification provides for no more than 5.25 V and no less than 4.35 V between the +ve and -ve bus power lines. Initially, a device is only allowed to draw 100 mA. It may request more current from the upstream device in units of 100 mA up to a maximum of 500 mA." from wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB).

The AC adapter supplies 2000mA (2A), so at best (if that usb charging cable is using the full 500mA available from USB) then the USB charging cable will take 4 times as long to charge as the AC adapter. If its only drawing 100mA it will take 20x as long.

How long does the AC charger take ppl? 2 Hours or something.
    So say at least 8 (and as many as 40) hours to charge from USB.

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by bah View Post
    What happens when you use the proper AC adapter (wall socket) charger?

Edit:
    The fact that it turns off when the USB DC-in is connected and that it will not power up without the battery lead me to think that either the USB charging cable is just not supplying enough amps to run the psp standalone nor charge the battery very quickly, or something is odd in the PSP itself. I'm guessing when you plug something into the DC-in socket and it detects 5V then it switches to that as a source, if the USB cant supply the current it wants then it shuts down (just a guess).

I tried on my own PSP, it will power up fine without the battery but with dc-in.

I also found this "The USB specification provides a 5 V (volts) supply on a single wire from which connected USB devices may draw power. The specification provides for no more than 5.25 V and no less than 4.35 V between the +ve and -ve bus power lines. Initially, a device is only allowed to draw 100 mA. It may request more current from the upstream device in units of 100 mA up to a maximum of 500 mA." from wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB).

The AC adapter supplies 2000mA (2A), so at best (if that usb charging cable is using the full 500mA available from USB) then the USB charging cable will take 4 times as long to charge as the AC adapter. If its only drawing 100mA it will take 20x as long.

How long does the AC charger take ppl? 2 Hours or something.
    So say at least 8 (and as many as 40) hours to charge from USB.
    I tried a regular charger and all appears well now. Apparently, these USB chargers are kinda pointless!

Thanx for the input!

It certainly seems they are if they take ages to charge and cause the PSP to turn off when plugged in

Glad to help mate

Have yout thought of downgrading?

i had this same problem with my psp then i realized that the usb charger sucks

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by pt9087 View Post
    Have yout thought of downgrading?
    Just did.

Thread Information