Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Give your opinion about your Playstation2, Xbox, or Gamecube

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JKKDARK View Post
    We are talking about consoles, and personally the DualShock pads are the best for FPS
    I know, but I prefer the PC versions thou. The DualShock is good for FPS mainly because the 2 analogue sticks provide movement from two perspectives of moving and aiming, DualShock is good on other game types aswell

PS2 was a great machine but i hated the controller, the right analouge stick aint in the right place, thats one badly designed controller, and a reason i didnt buy a PS3 among others, the Game cube is the best controller
    Sad but true. Ps1/2 pad are good for rpg, fighting and racing. Forget FPS. Thumb sticks position is too high, cheap rubber surface and should at least be in curved like n64 stick were... wich don't give a good grip. They simply added 2 joysticks on a pad that wasn't designed for that in the first place. Overall best game pad for shooters was N64 Pad. The xbox v1/360 support keyboard/mouse and so far, there's nothing close to match that combination.

The DualShock is good for FPS mainly because the 2 analogue sticks provide movement from two perspectives of moving and aiming
    DualShock is barely able to do so as easily as N64 Pad can. Strafe right/left up/down with right thumb with C-buttons and simultaneously aiming/shooting with left hand with z-button and joystick in the middle. Easy to handle, fast and natural.

I love my Xbox, but only really for XBMC and a HDD full of emulators

PCs with a mouse and keyboard is by far and away the best setup for FPS games.

I know many people seem to prefer a dual analogue stick controller as its what they are used to (as I am used to a PC) but it is just not as responsive when aiming is critical.

Try to use a high res GUI like windows quickly and easily if you replaced your mouse with a joypad and it all makes sense.
    You could set it fast so you can move around quickly and zoom past what you want, or slow and do everything slowly with better accuracy.
    'Up, up, left, no no, down a bit, oops too far'

A mouse works with your hand eye co-ordination really well when you want to move a pointer to something and click it (move a crosshair to a head and click is really the same thing). You can move it in a wide range of speeds, can have mouse acceleration enabled etc. Move it quickly to get near the icon then slow down for fine aim in 1 movement without thinking about it (a full 360 spin and a fine degree of accuracy in 1 setup).

An analogue (they're really digital with steps) joypad only has so many usable steps in its range each way and setting the sensitivity to a range that makes turning quickly easy almost always costs you accuracy due to it. Why do you think most console games have some degree of auto aim?

For other game types where aiming isn't as critical (GTA with its auto-aim, driving games etc) I can see how its nicer to sit on a couch in front of a TV where a mouse/KB isn't practical.
    When aiming counts and the control scheme isn't built around a joypad (automating some portion of aiming/movement) then a mouse is going to give you and advantage.

I even got the mouse adapter/hack for my XBOX, but as its just emulating the analogue stick its still has its limitations and doesn't feel right.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Balthasar00 View Post
    DualShock is barely able to do so as easily as N64 Pad can. Strafe right/left up/down with right thumb with C-buttons and simultaneously aiming/shooting with left hand with z-button and joystick in the middle. Easy to handle, fast and natural.
    Sadly C-buttons are pointlessly placed on the N64 pad, on the Virtual Console (Wii) the Classic Controller takes care of that problem quite easily by making the controller more like a combination between a SNES pad and DualShock (but without rumble). The right analogue takes place of the C-buttons making games like LylatWars/StarFox64 easier to control (but sadly no rumble feature), but with the Classic Controller you can play NES, SNES, N64, MegaDrive and Turbografx aswell as a few Wii titles...

...So the Wii's Classic Controller wins!

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread Information