Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quake II Starting again

Default Quake II Starting again

via McZonks Blog http://emergencyexit.untergrund.net/

A lot of people asked, why Quake 2 runs on the old Playstation (33 mhz, 2 mb memory, 1 mb video memory) and I have problems with the PSP which offers 32 mb memory. Most crashes and hangs are memory problems. There are a lot of reasons and i will try to explain a few of them. But let me show some screenshots first.

All gamers who tried the game on both playforms will notice some major differences. The models are reduced in polygon count, texture size and animation steps. The maps are remodelled so the polygon count is reducest drastically, some areas are removed completly and there are loading time inside of the map. It would be a bad idea to remake the maps for the psp version too. A huge benefit over the Playstation version is, that the psp version can load any Quake 2 map without modify it.
    Memory Usage

The question is, should Quake 2 PSP be more like the Playstation version or the windows version which uses around 50 to 100 mb memory. There are some reasons why my goal is the real version. But where is all the memory used? As already mentioned before the PSP offers 32 mb memory to use. The firmware uses around 9 of them. So you have around 23 mb for your application. After game initialization Quake 2 uses 5 mb, for code and data, for console and menu.
    So what to do with the rest of 18 mb. The maps files are between zwo and three mb on the memory stick. But the bsp tree will be use around 4 to 8 mb in game and graphics engine and the map textures will also use around 2 to 4 mb. When the map is loaded you can run through an empty world. Weapons, ammo packs and items will use another 2 mb. The enemy models will take around 5 to 10 mb.

Quake Soldier

Let us take a look at the basic unit in Quake 2: the solidier. This easy enemy occures on nearly every map with different weapons and look. The Model is 456 kb, the textures are 345 kb and the sound files are 356 kb, what is 1.1 mb in total - Yes, there will be sound in the next release.
    Another problem is that the PSP has no memory managment unit. When the Quake 2 beta crashed during loading the next level, it was usually a problem because of fragmented memory. So you have to take care that you do not split the memory in to much little pieces. I solved this by unloading the whole stuff when quit a map. Unfortunatly this will increase the loading time for the next level.

I have rewritten the sound engine complety. It is now, same as graphics and input, full custom psp code. It is unfinished but there will be audio output in one of the next version. Perhaps i can integrate a streaming music player too, but this a less imporant feature on my todo list. The challange in single player mode will be to reduce the memory usage to make all or at least the most maps working on the PSP. Multiplayer will not have the memory problems since only some player models has to be loaded. There is a bot library for Quake 2 which would be nice to include. I’m unsure if I should focus on single- or multiplayer first. I also would like to externalize the game engine into a .prx, so I can load mods. This is a nice time to test my new poll script. What feature would you prefer?

This is great news!

Hell yes! I played Quake 2 on my PSP with the PS1 version and he is completely right, some levels are removed and a lot of it has been chopped. So this port will be an excellent collection once he figures out the memory issues. Awesome!

I think you should start with multiplayer. If any thing is going to tax the system its going to be that. Then when you dont have to deal with a whole buncha people at the same time. It should be easy. I could be wrong. The maps are a tad bigger on the single player.

DCEmu Newbie

Smashing!

I think multiplayer, definitely. The PSP needs a really decent ad hoc or wireless FPS.

awsome! i love psp quake and im glad to see it again!

Freakin' sweet

Id say singleplayer personally.

Make sure you guys all vote in the poll on his blog.

DCEmu Rookie

First of all, nice to hear that they r still on the game ... thought they had given up.

I think the first thing to concentrate on is that the single player mode runs without any problems. Then the team can switch the focus towards the nice extra stuff like this music player and the multiplayer stuff.

To get Quake 2 running in a better resolution than just software rendering would be awesome! ... I mean it'd already be great if it ran without any errors in software, but if u get this game to look like on one of the old 3dfx cards ... man ... u'd be the hero :thumbup:

But as I said ... concentrate on an error free single player mode first, then do the nice extra stuff It could also be an advantageif u have an error free single player mode for later coding. U can build up on a good piece of software, u get my point?

Gr33tz and hope to see some advancement in the recent future ...

DCEmu Old Pro The_Ultimate_Eggman's Avatar

Cant some kind of dynamic memory handling be used ie use memory stick as a virtual memory ??.Re routing it from the psp's memory to use the stick..

McZonk, nice to hear again from you .. I always loved your work on quake 2!! Welcome back!

Hau rein!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information