Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: GPSFS Utility Program

DCEmu Regular

Last error:

GMDL_util.exe:

NTDLL.DLL error, application is hung.

And why isn't level 6 present in my small maps.

E.G:
    I have a large map, with levels 1 to 4. I remove level 4 with your tool.
    If i reopen the NEWLY generated, level 4 is present as EMPTY tile. It's for the filestructure you say.

But level 6 ? doesn't that need a file structure ?

LOL I forgot to enter the compression rate, WHAT A difference.

But improve the slider bar. It's now VERY unclear that you can control the amount of compression with that. YES it's in the readme, but your prog is so small and the readme so big that even I forgot to apply compression.

Now that i've done that:

Map that was 7 mb to 1 mb. Still readable.

But i wonder how long the 300 mb map takes to do. Maybe 2 days, LOL

DCEmu Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by Codaz View Post
    Last error:

GMDL_util.exe:

NTDLL.DLL error, application is hung.
    I'd love to have that map!

And why isn't level 6 present in my small maps.

E.G:
    I have a large map, with levels 1 to 4. I remove level 4 with your tool.
    If i reopen the NEWLY generated, level 4 is present as EMPTY tile. It's for the filestructure you say.

But level 6 ? doesn't that need a file structure ?
    I don't quite understand this. Do you have a level 6 in that original map? GPSFS_util can only remove tiles from levels, but not add.

LOL I forgot to enter the compression rate, WHAT A difference.

But improve the slider bar. It's now VERY unclear that you can control the amount of compression with that. YES it's in the readme, but your prog is so small and the readme so big that even I forgot to apply compression.

Now that i've done that:

Map that was 7 mb to 1 mb. Still readable.
    Excellent. Yeah, I crammed quite a few things in there... I wanted to keep the program small and have the controls adopt to situations only available at the given moment...

FYI, After the analysis is done, you can select with the scroll bar on the right the recompression ratio. Way left is no-recompression ( as in it will store the original jpg files without touching them or in PNG's case it recompresses them at 78% ratio to JPG ), as you start moving the silder to the right, it shows recompression result between 20% and 80% JPG quality range.

But i wonder how long the 300 mb map takes to do. Maybe 2 days, LOL
    One of my 410MB GPSFS took 8 hours for analysis and 2 hours to save on my core-solo...

DCEmu Regular

No it only shows file size that the map will be, not compression rate

And with the NTDLL.DLL error, it seems that your program is eating a LOT of CPU. 100% occurs.

If cpu power is reserved for e.g Torrent downloading, your program is hungry for power, if it can't get that it will stop and produce an error.

But it works now.

What programming language is it developped in ? Because i downloaded Notepad++ (very wide reading and developing program) but it can't really read your program.

DCEmu Regular

MIB.42, first of all excellent app! Thanks for writing this, it's exactly how (I feel) post processing of maps should be done (for various reasons, post processing downloaded tiles too much in GMDL is not a good idea).

Anyway, some suggestions, feel free to ignore them though:

Placing the dll into the same directory as the exe seems to work as well.

Select the folder with the GPSFS files rather than the file itself (i.e. just the parent dir of whatever file was selected) then you just get GPSFS inside that, avoiding the problem of people selecting GPSFS1,2,3,4.

Considering the above, or even as is, I would vote for placing the compressed GPSFS files into a separate folder like _map_name_date

ETA, it may be possible to read in the index quickly to just count of used tiles - if so, count the total/skipped number of tiles, then after encoding the first 100 or so actual tiles do the calculation based on time taken for that and the number of actual tiles from the index (but like you said, reading in the index will take a few seconds).

Compression settings, and stats, maybe have an option which compresses a random set of tiles (for example the first 100 used) using various settings (PNG 16, JPEG 25%, 50%, etc.) and gives an estimate of the resulting compressed GPSFS (and a sample pre/post tile).

DCEmu Regular

Now that's a good feedback you got on your first day program release MIB.42

Also because i can't stop reading these forums:

Add a little sound (the windows bling/beep/buzz) that beeps when analysing or recompression is done. Because i don't think you will be staring at the recompression window for 4-5 hours

Last thing is recompression ETA is presented in minutes not in hours left. Fix that plz.

Hope to see the next version this week/month

DCEmu Rookie

No it only shows file size that the map will be, not compression rate

And with the NTDLL.DLL error, it seems that your program is eating a LOT of CPU. 100% occurs.

If cpu power is reserved for e.g Torrent downloading, your program is hungry for power, if it can't get that it will stop and produce an error.

But it works now.

What programming language is it developped in ? Because i downloaded Notepad++ (very wide reading and developing program) but it can't really read your program.
    I most certainly is a CPU hungry application!
    That's an interesting comment on when producing an error. I don't quite know what to do with that, as this seems to be an NT issue...

I develop in C/C++, but I only publish the executable for now...

Cheers,
    MIB.42

DCEmu Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by in7ane View Post
    MIB.42, first of all excellent app! Thanks for writing this, it's exactly how (I feel) post processing of maps should be done (for various reasons, post processing downloaded tiles too much in GMDL is not a good idea).
    I agree, GMDL is already quite complex and does the most important work! That's why instead of bugging you with adding new features, I developed this code. I plan on expanding it a bit more, mostly towards having a better tile browser and PNG recompress functionality.

I hope to see this code as part of the GMDL suite...

Placing the dll into the same directory as the exe seems to work as well.
    Ok, I will try that, thanks. I had other dll's as well, but managed to rewrite some parts for zlib/png, so no dll's are necessary any more. I doubt I reimplement JPG de/comp. I might actually go back to the png/zlib dll's as well, as decompress of png is quite simple, but compression is a different kinda animal...

Select the folder with the GPSFS files rather than the file itself (i.e. just the parent dir of whatever file was selected) then you just get GPSFS inside that, avoiding the problem of people selecting GPSFS1,2,3,4.
    Yeah, I know... That's lack of my Windows programming skills... I use the OpenFileDialog box... Help is welcome...

Considering the above, or even as is, I would vote for placing the compressed GPSFS files into a separate folder like _map_name_date
    Yeah, you're right, I will do that in the next release.

ETA, it may be possible to read in the index quickly to just count of used tiles - if so, count the total/skipped number of tiles, then after encoding the first 100 or so actual tiles do the calculation based on time taken for that and the number of actual tiles from the index (but like you said, reading in the index will take a few seconds).
    That's exactly what I plan on doing. I will split the ETA computation into "empty" and "normal" and compute the result accordingly...

Compression settings, and stats, maybe have an option which compresses a random set of tiles (for example the first 100 used) using various settings (PNG 16, JPEG 25%, 50%, etc.) and gives an estimate of the resulting compressed GPSFS (and a sample pre/post tile).
    At the moment during the analysis phase I compute 20%, 30%, 40%, 50%, 60%, 70% and 80% JPEG quality compression sizes and interpolate between when you move the slider. The slide basically a simple quality setting slider in the 0~80% range, where 0~19% is interpreted as "No recompression".

I will do the png 16 color recompress at v0.3 and look at the 16bit JPG as well, probably even for v0.2.

Thanks for your suggestions!

MIB.42

DCEmu Rookie

Now that's a good feedback you got on your first day program release MIB.42

Also because i can't stop reading these forums:

Add a little sound (the windows bling/beep/buzz) that beeps when analysing or recompression is done. Because i don't think you will be staring at the recompression window for 4-5 hours

Last thing is recompression ETA is presented in minutes not in hours left. Fix that plz.

Hope to see the next version this week/month
    Cool, those are great ideas. Thanks!

DCEmu Newbie

tanks

(sorry my very poor english)

DCEmu Regular

Ok MIB.42 this is for your investigation.

This map was originally PNG based and 9.44 mb big.

Now it's compressed to JPG maximum compression (78% ?)

It doesn't work on Mapthis .99 original.

If i load it into mapthis it says please wait while loading and then freezes up the psp and turns it off.

I have 3.10OE-A and 2.71 and 3.03 PRX.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread Information