Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: GPSFS Utility Program

DCEmu Rookie

Default GPSFS Utility Program

Here is the first beta (v0.1) release of GPSFS_util.

As I was hinting it for some time now, it can analyze and recompress as well as omit tiles/levels etc...
    ( Like you have a 2GB map, but for sure you are not using some parts of it as they are things like
    ocean or mountain areas with no roads and you are not a hiking-kind-a-guy or shady parts of town
    which you will never ever visit etc... ), so you would love to save some memorystick space by removing
    all those "never to be used" tiles, individually. Or, say, you downloaded a map of Paris and turns out
    that your map is 9.2GB and you don't have a memorystick which can hold all of it and you are looking
    for ways to reduce the size to 300MB even if it involves removing entire levels and sacrificing quality.
    GPSFS_util can do all of those...

Double click on the window title bar for detailed how-tos...

Cheers,
    MIB.42

PS: You may need to copy the jpeg62.dll to your C:\WINDOWS directory or where you put the GPSFS_util progam...
    Let me know if you have trouble running it...

The below GPSFS_util.zip file is outdated and is here only for archival reasons...

DCEmu Newbie

After it gets to about 36000 files it slows down... and keep slowing down and at this rate, will never finish, might as well re-download the whole map?

DCEmu Newbie

Ok, well it finished and I got rid of the biggest zoom, but the new map wont load now, any clue why?

DCEmu Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by DogRed9 View Post
    Ok, well it finished and I got rid of the biggest zoom, but the new map wont load now, any clue why?
    Won't load where? in MapThis!?

I assume you renamed the resulting files from N_GPSFS... to GPSFS... ?

Try loading it in GPSFS_util... What does it say?

DCEmu Rookie

After it gets to about 36000 files it slows down... and keep slowing down and at this rate, will never finish, might as well re-download the whole map?
    It processes faster, when the tiles are empty or simple. If the tiles have a lot of graphics, it "slows down" of course, as it needs to process those.

I checked for memory leaks ( which usually leads for slowing down ) and it seems to be fairly robust.

It processed one of my maps with 10 levels and 1398100 tiles in about 6 hours without leaking a single byte, but - being a software - one can never know what weird combinations someone may throw at you...

That's why it's beta... But it also seems that it was OK for you eventually, right? As in it did not crash...

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by MIB.42 View Post
    I assume you renamed the resulting files from N_GPSFS... to GPSFS... ?
    I feel like such an idiot lol... I even read that in the help file and... just forgot to rename them, now it loads fine.
    I dont have my GPS cable yet so I coudlnt test this, but when you do use it, will it try to zoom in all the way and end up at the no tile images?
    And I know this would be alot more complicated, but a suggestion for the program is to allow for previewing, with those checkboxes. So, you could download all the maps for the area, then open them in this and make more refined ones of just what you need each time. Oh and the preview in the program of the tiles never worked it was just solid colors of one form or another.

DCEmu Rookie

I feel like such an idiot lol... I even read that in the help file and... just forgot to rename them, now it loads fine.
    I dont have my GPS cable yet so I coudlnt test this, but when you do use it, will it try to zoom in all the way and end up at the no tile images?
    And I know this would be alot more complicated, but a suggestion for the program is to allow for previewing, with those checkboxes. So, you could download all the maps for the area, then open them in this and make more refined ones of just what you need each time. Oh and the preview in the program of the tiles never worked it was just solid colors of one form or another.
    v0.2 will have a little preview... I am working on it...

solid colors mean that the tile is either missing or have problems. Double click on the tile and it will pop-up a status report...

DCEmu Regular

Nice, GREAT work MIB ! Is there any GZLIB or other LIB compression possible in the future ?

Because maps can be MUCH smaller. I don't care if map loading takes half a minute, if maps are significant smaller (150-200% compression) than i prefer compression.

DCEmu Regular

I noticed some bugs.

1 If you open a GPSFS* file, eg GPSFS 1 2 3 4 etc it says TOO MANY tiles. That is strange.

2 If you analyse a file, and then accidentally select OPEN FILE, you can't go back to the program because it freezes.

I had to CTRL ALT DEL to exit it.

Error:
    LOCALS~1\Temp\WERfbc6.dir00\GPSFS_util.exe.mdmp

3 Also why can't i delete level 0 ? I don't like em. Because it's a picture from half of the city and i can't see anything usefull on it.

4 And there are level 1 tiles in my map (so they fill up space !) but they are empty ? So can you delete them ?

5. The CTRL + A function doesn't work for selecting all tiles at once, can that be fixed ?

6. My _MAP directory is 7 mb large, but the Util says: No Recompress, map size is 9.44 mb. Why is that ?

7. I'm working on a laptop. For heat issues i downclock my CPU to 800 mhz. If i let it run at normal speed (1.73 GHZ) the ETA isn't correctly updated. It goes down yes, but my CPU is working twice as fast so it must be done sooner. The analysing is done faster so why isn't the ETA updated ?

VERY USEFULL PROGRAM, the faster your pc is the faster the program goes !

If you implement the feature from GMDL that checks if the tiles arent broken, and pops up to redownload them, it would sure be a real all-in-one map solution.

Or maybe you can give the code from your program to In7ane so he can implement this in his tool.

Last thing, i created a simple BAT file for you guys that can rename the N_GPSFS to normal files, have fun !

DCEmu Newbie

if possible porting this progran for running in linux?

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread Information