Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SONY counterstrikes with 3.51 firmware update

DCEmu Legend

psp Noobz smarter than SONY? The answer points to yes...

Well, it took SONY much longer this time around to figure out how to patch the exploit than it did when the GTA exploit was announced. I think Noobz stumped them with this one. Its amusing to paint a picture of a bunch of programmers at SONY racing around the labs for the past 5 days feverishly trying to patch the exploit. All the while its probable that fat cat execs were breathing down their neck screaming "PATCH IT!, PATCH IT NOW DAMMIT!!!" LOL

But we love you SONY. Thanks for giving us the PSP. We should stop thinking of this as a war against SONY and instead think of it as friendly competition. After all, SONY has admitted certain admirations towards the homebrew community and SONY has yet to aggressively attack or try to shut down homebrew in any way. No cease and desist E-mails being sent to Noobz, Dark_AleX, or anyone else as far as I know. So the battle continues to be a fun and exciting tug-of-war in a sort of David vs. Goliath way.

Quote Originally Posted by Classic80s View Post
    What's the point? No one gives a $#@! about 3.51. Let alone a possible 3.51 OE
    I know that. The point of this thread and the way I worded it was just to get people talking about the future and where we go from here. I don't want, nor do I expect Dark_AleX to waste his time on a 3.51 OE.

Quote Originally Posted by bah View Post
    It will be a long time till new PSPs will have this firmware installed, so anyone who knows about homebrew prior to buying their system will have no problems downgrading.
    I hope so. But lately I've spotted PSP's at local Target stores with 3.40 pre-installed. That happened faster than I thought. It wasn't too long ago that I was seeing PSP's with 2.71 & 2.81 pre-installed.

Quote Originally Posted by jak66 View Post
    p.s. wiki says this update blocks lumines exploit and adds a ps store icon that says 'coming soon...' (i think thats what was said)
    So to hide what is really going on SONY puts a useless icon into the firmware? That is sad...

Quote Originally Posted by Airdevil View Post
    Just because they patch 2 games doesnt mean the end of downgraders. Just think of all the other games out there which are covered in exploits which will allow a downgrader to be possible. Why give up if two exploits are fixed? "Plenty more fish in the sea", as it were.
    Those are great points. Again, I was more or less trying to incite discussion on the future strategies of keeping the homebrew scene as alive and active as it is today. The PSP is not selling like the DS Lite is and there are plenty of people who don't yet have a PSP that would like one. To keep the homebrew scene growing in numbers over the next couple of years, I'm hoping that there are more exploits known about that people are keeping secret. SONY has shown us that in just days they will patch and prevent these amazing exploits from working. So the strategy I would put into effect is to wait until SONY releases some BIG firmware updates before we break out the big guns. The more downgradable PSP's SONY pumps out of the factories the better. Or I would try my best to keep new exploits very secretive between talented groups like Noobz. Then when the time is right, announce the exploit.

However, the other side of that argument is that when you have such amazing developments like a new exploit, downgrader, etc. all individuals involved deserve credit. SO its not really fair to ask them to stay quiet on it. They deserve the attention and donations that they have rightfully earned.

Quote Originally Posted by YKB View Post
    Sony releases PSP firmware 3.51 in almost no time after the 3.50 downgrader was released - just as I expected. I bet the company have some people that look out for any news on firmware exploits and then act lightning quick to release a fix to patch it up.
    That is true. There is actually a job title that some companies give out for the sole purpose of being a part of fan sites or community sites to keep track on the latest buzz from consumers. And in the case of the PSP, keeping an eye on the homebrew scene has probably been focused on more than anything due to the you know, "security vulnerabilities". I'm sure DCEMU has some SONY reps trolling the forums. As do other major sites like qj, MaXconsole, etc.

since 3.51 is only a security patch there is really not all that much point to make a cf. also im almost positive that it will be able to be downgraded, because i dont think we've seen the last of the lumines exploit. i remember when sony thought they killed the gta, and they didnt. hopefully they messed up killing the lumies one too.

DCEmu Newbie

there is no such thing as the end of downgraders

Sorry Sony

DCEmu Old Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy4point0 View Post
    since 3.51 is only a security patch there is really not all that much point to make a cf. also im almost positive that it will be able to be downgraded, because i dont think we've seen the last of the lumines exploit. i remember when sony thought they killed the gta, and they didnt. hopefully they messed up killing the lumies one too.
    the reason gta was good 2 times is because sony only patched save slots 1-7, not 8&9. however, unless i'm mistaken, lumines only has 1 savedata slot, therefore, its pratically impossible to not completely patch it this time (unless jap version is significantly different)

Daaaaaaaaam i only just found out about the exploit :P i wish i still had my 3.30psp but my house got broken into and my psp was stolen :'(
    But i still have my downgraded brothers psp, so i guess now ill just go buy a psp off some dumb kid and downgrade :P

funny thing is, im still staying at 3.03 OE

stop saying sony should stop people what happens if they really do stop that means no more new games no more new updates at least say sony isnt good at this not saying they should stop because if they do you all just might start feeling dumb

I think its very unlikely that its the end of downgraders
    someone somewhere will beat it and spread the word quicker than you can say "firmware update 3.52"

DCEmu Newbie

Having read Veskgar's post, a funny little thought popped into my mind.

Consider this: The PSP is quite the sophisticated little powerhouse, both hardware and software specs are very impressive. Usually highly complex software results in many 'weakpoints' that are targeted by hostile individuals (i.e. $#@!smoker wannabe hackers who are just out to ruin other peoples day). For example the OS on smart-phones and that pesky little virus that bricked thousands of Nokias, or the constant barrage of vicious crap that attacks ones PC every day.

But what of the PSP? With the exception of malicious 'downgraders' that where designed to brick the PSP of the over-eager and too-naive there have been no viruses, or trojan-horses, worms or spy-ware to speak of. Could it be that the PSP is immune to such crap because of the FW arms race between Sony and the homebrewers? Could or saving grace be the constant battle to find an exploit, and Sony's then consequent efforts to close the security gaps discovered?

So once a fully functional keyboard is available that would make the PSP the ultimate little web-surfing machine - aprt from the fact that most websites look rather odd on the browser. But I can live with that more than annoying pop-ups and hack-attacks.

I love my PSP, as much as any man can love a gadget.

DCEmu Rookie

Default This stuff is soooooo stupid...

I wish SONY would realize that their attempts at blocking homebrew/unsigned code are doing more harm than good.

Being so zealous has made them look like the bad guys in this "homebrew scene", forced people to use hacked firmware that can launch ISOs and ISO loaders just to play the games that they legally purchased, pissed off those people, thereby fueling the desire for people to pirate on the PSP, and further publicised PSP homebrew to the point where it has a large fanbase. There is also an economic factor, "security" updates and developing PSP systems that are hardwired to commit suicide if lower firmware versions are installed only temporarily slowed down the homebrew "scene" and cost a bit more money.

On the other hand, Nintendo has not been trying to force updates to their DS system down our throats (and yes, they can do so, there is a large portion of the firmware that can be overwritten without touching the hardware) and have not been all that zealous in blocking unsigned code. Instead, they focus more of their resources on creating better games instead of trying to control their game system. As a result, they look like the good guys and maintain better public relations, which leads to far less piracy. People can easily pirate games using something that costs less than a high capacity PSP memory card but mostly choose not to do so.

Anyway, if SONY blocked only the aspects of homebrew that allow piracy (UMD access, running signed code from the memory card (not including game demos and PS1 games), launching ISO files) then the only people who really suffer are those who pirate PSP games, piracy software will not be as popular since more honest gamers who want to keep their unsigned code would not need it, people can still enjoy their homebrew without having to use hacked firmware and ISO loaders that can launch pirated games, and the fanbase will appreciate SONY enough to not pirate games as much. A compromise will be far more effective for preventing piracy than attempting to put PSP owners on a leash (for lack of a better metaphor).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information