Poll: Do you know some with, or do you have Autism?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do you know someone with, or do you have Autism?

Default Do you know someone with, or do you have Autism?

The guy that posted this thread is an Autistic "sufferer".

I'd just like to know if you know someone that has it, since I'm bored.

*noob question*

Whats autism?

Quote Originally Posted by ganondorf View Post
    *noob question*

Whats autism?
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism

Canada, Ruler of Patriarch of Constantinople and Vicar of the Hagia Sofia

Not personally, not that I know of anyway. I believe you said before you had a minor case of it?

Nope I dont know any one with Autism

PSN ID: splodger15

I'm actually in the process of being evaluated for a form of Autism called 'Aspergers Syndrome'... Got a friend who's been diagnosed, too.

Kind of a scary concept to think that one's brain is miswired and there's no way to fix it yet.

Severe Autism was most popularly portrayed by Dustin Hoffman in 'Rainman'. It's a situation where you have little to no control over how your brain processes info, but Severe Autistics sometimes have a unique side-effect... Kinda like having the fastest car in the whole world, but only because you've removed the brakes. :P They tend to be very intelligent folks, just completely unable to communicate it properly to others.

High-Functioning Autism and Aspergers' Syndrome are similar, only the 're-wiring' isn't as severe. There are still hindrances to communication... For example, I can't really read books all that well because I tend to try taking in the entire page, rather than just word-by-word or line-by-line. Just ends up confusing me. I also have extreme difficulty precisely communicating what's on my mind, which tends to lead to rambling with large words.

What finally tipped me off was this article on an NPR show called 'The Story'. In it, the subject was talking about how some of his thought processes worked... It was eerily close to my own. He was 40 years old when he was diagnosed... So I figured that it might be something to help explain all the frustrations I was having from how my mind seemed to work.

Again... it's.... kinda freaky.

Quote Originally Posted by Tesseract View Post
    I'm actually in the process of being evaluated for a form of Autism called 'Aspergers Syndrome'... Got a friend who's been diagnosed, too.

Kind of a scary concept to think that one's brain is miswired and there's no way to fix it yet.

Severe Autism was most popularly portrayed by Dustin Hoffman in 'Rainman'. It's a situation where you have little to no control over how your brain processes info, but Severe Autistics sometimes have a unique side-effect... Kinda like having the fastest car in the whole world, but only because you've removed the brakes. :P They tend to be very intelligent folks, just completely unable to communicate it properly to others.

High-Functioning Autism and Aspergers' Syndrome are similar, only the 're-wiring' isn't as severe. There are still hindrances to communication... For example, I can't really read books all that well because I tend to try taking in the entire page, rather than just word-by-word or line-by-line. Just ends up confusing me. I also have extreme difficulty precisely communicating what's on my mind, which tends to lead to rambling with large words.

What finally tipped me off was this article on an NPR show called 'The Story'. In it, the subject was talking about how some of his thought processes worked... It was eerily close to my own. He was 40 years old when he was diagnosed... So I figured that it might be something to help explain all the frustrations I was having from how my mind seemed to work.

Again... it's.... kinda freaky.
    Yeah, the doctors thought that I might have Asperger's.

Don't take Autism as an impairment. I see it as just brain enhancement with all the qwerks that come with it.

No, I never had it.

I used to stack up cans when I was little, am I autistic?

Quote Originally Posted by parkermauney View Post
    I used to stack up cans when I was little, am I autistic?
    Probably not.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information