Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: make a DC DVD addon?

DCEmu Newbie

Default make a DC DVD addon?

I am probably going to get a swift "no" for this question, but i am just curious. We all know that a DVD addon was planned for the DC but go scrapped, but it would have been soooo cool if it was released. My idea is this. Would it be possible to connect a DC and a PS2 (probably with BBAs i guess, with a crossover cable?), using the PS2 as a "DVD addon"? Like i said, this idea is pretty far fetched, but i was thinking about it and figured i would ask you all here.

Mabye if someone were to make the proper cable and find a appropriate DVD player and write up a program for it. But in the end it would be easier to watch movies on the dvd player itself.

Blog Entries

What would be the point of DVD on the DC thou?

I mean pretty much everyone here has either a DVD player or a PS2, so they would just use that instead.

It's impossible. Buy a PS2 or a DVD Player

DCEmu Newbie

I was thinking more for homebrew purposes rather than watching movies, i already have a ps2 and dvd player for that. With the PS2 hooked up to the DC, then the DC basically has a hard drive through the PS2 as well, for those who have one.

Quote Originally Posted by nate9999 View Post
    I was thinking more for homebrew purposes rather than watching movies, i already have a ps2 and dvd player for that. With the PS2 hooked up to the DC, then the DC basically has a hard drive through the PS2 as well, for those who have one.
    Does that actually work?

DCEmu Old Pro

No, it's just a theory on how it could be done.

It would have a crappy transfer rate and it would have to be done through homebrew at each side.

You would be better just running PS2 homebrew...

Cloudy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudhunter View Post
    No, it's just a theory on how it could be done.

It would have a crappy transfer rate and it would have to be done through homebrew at each side.

You would be better just running PS2 homebrew...

Cloudy
    The only possible way is to modify the whole console, changing the CD drive for the PS2's DVD drive and somehow modifying it to work on its own within the Dreamcast (but the DVD drive is too big for the DC's casing) The modding idea's are endless, but sadly theres not enough people to at lest try them all

Well i see where he is heading with this... but There is no need really for a dvd drive for the dc... I don't think the processing power of the dc would be enough to bolster a home brew game that is large enough to fill a dvd? unless I'm wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by IUnNamedI View Post
    Well i see where he is heading with this... but There is no need really for a dvd drive for the dc... I don't think the processing power of the dc would be enough to bolster a home brew game that is large enough to fill a dvd? unless I'm wrong...
    Well Sega was making a DVD add on so that means it can support one.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information