Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: E3 2007: Old PSP to be Phased Out

Blog Entries

psp E3 2007: Old PSP to be Phased Out

Via IGN

Seybold also shed some light on the company's plans for the older PSP model now that a redesign has been announced. Will it be phased out as well? Or receive its own price drop?

"The newly designed PSP will replace the original PSP design starting in September with the $169.99 PSP Core Pack and the $199.99 Daxter PSP Entertainment Pack."

I hate the fact that they are stoping the production of old PSP's this is guaranteed to have to effects.

1.Decrease the increase of the homebrew user population.
    2.Increase the price of homebrew compatible PSP's

And on top of this there's 20 Million + original PSP owners , 13-17 Million of these probably won't buy the 2nd PSP because of the lack of additional Feautures.

Is Sony going to stop supporting original PSP's , I've heard that because of the difference is shape and size many current PSP accesories won't be compatible with the newer model , Sony is in a way forcing us to move the the newer version.

I'm personaly annoyed with this , I feel my needs as a customer are being ignored , It used to be super cool to have a PSP where I live but now i'll look like a 'tard because I don't have the newest version of the PSP ( despite the fact that it's not much better at all).

Quote Originally Posted by Cokemusic View Post
    Is Sony going to stop supporting original PSP's , I've heard that because of the difference is shape and size many current PSP accesories won't be compatible with the newer model , Sony is in a way forcing us to move the the newer version.
    That's exactly what ive been saying from the beginning

DCEmu Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by Cokemusic View Post
    I hate the fact that they are stoping the production of old PSP's this is guaranteed to have to effects.

1.Decrease the increase of the homebrew user population.
    2.Increase the price of homebrew compatible PSP's

And on top of this there's 20 Million + original PSP owners , 13-17 Million of these probably won't buy the 2nd PSP because of the lack of additional Feautures.

I'm personaly annoyed with this , I feel my needs as a customer are being ignored , It used to be super cool to have a PSP where I live but now i'll look like a 'tard because I don't have the newest version of the PSP ( despite the fact that it's not much better at all).
    yeah, I think the fat PSP owners are slowly being squeezed out:S

that's just too bad!

DCEmu Legend

psp Blessing in disguise...

Although that was a pretty vague quote, it is ridiculous of SONY to think that everyone or most who bought the original PSP is going to run out and get this redesign. SONY has shipped (not sold mind you) 25 million PSP units worldwide so far.

It does suck that they will no longer be manufacturing the older PSP's. Now I know why they haven't released other colors in North America. I just wonder when manufacturing will actually cease. They would want to use the materials purchased that are used in the manufacturing of the current model. So will we see the end of the current PSP in September, October, November, etc.???

Or even worse than a gradual phase out...... Will SONY actually pull the old PSP off the shelves in September in some sort of recall making it extinct in the retail market?

I can't help but wonder if this is the"new "unhackable" PSP with unhackable firmware that SONY was rumored to be putting in stores to replace current ones. We heard about that a couple months ago. Maybe SONY decided to delay that until September.

Also, I hate to compare the PSP to the DS again but Nintendo didn't leave the owners of the DS Phat in the dust when the DS Lite came out. All games and features work the same on the DS Phat as they do on the DS Lite. Will we be able to say the same for this new PSP compared to the original?

SONY should lower the price of current PSP's to $149.99 and give consumers a choice when the redesign is released.

This all could be a blessing in disguise as it already appears that this may be yet another move to piss off consumers and fans of the Playstation brand. It may give birth to a vigorous campaign to hack the new PSP unlike anything we've seen before. SONY is being way too aggressive and heavy handed and that only breeds counter aggression from an angry and talented homebrew community who will stop at nothing to unlock and have freedom with a product we pay our hard earned money for.

How many feet does SONY have left to shoot off?

*LIGHT BULB*

The more unhackable Sony claim to make their firmware the more attention it seems to attract , I believe that people like to annoy large companies and destroy their attempts to increase security in an situation. This new "Unhackable firmware" could bring a surge of new coders and hackers into the community.

Imagine "3.6 Downgrader By the "Russian Hackers"

Old PSP Download Link
    New PSP Download Link"

If the new PSP attracts the same kinda attention that the DS lite did then we could potentialy be looking at an amazing community , Sony could have actually made a costly move by release a newer model.

Yes, but still: WHY BUY ANOTHER PSP WITH TH EXACT SAME GAMES BUT SO FAR WITHOUYT ANY HOMEBREW CAPABILITIES WHEN YOU ALREADY HAVE A PSP THAT CAN DO ALL THAT?

I have to wonder: Did $$$ony force Dark_Alex out because $they knew that $they were gonna release a new P$P?

Really I bet the only reason is Sony wants to stop homebrew on PSP which the hacker community will probably hack the new ones to.

plebs!

it was quite obvious this was the plan.

all those moaning about having to buy another PSP are foolish, this is a refinement for the sake of not ripping off existing customers.
    And if third party peripherals dont work with the new unit... what did you expect, this revision isnt needed, or meant for existing customers. \Sony has no obligation to support third party hardware.

[from what i can tell both PSP versions feature a six pin port next to the audio... so who knows.]

Quote Originally Posted by Accordion View Post
    plebs!

it was quite obvious this was the plan.

all those moaning about having to buy another PSP are foolish, this is a refinement for the sake of not ripping off existing customers.
    And if third party peripherals dont work with the new unit... what did you expect, this revision isnt needed, or meant for existing customers. \Sony has no obligation to support third party hardware.

[from what i can tell both PSP versions feature a six pin port next to the audio... so who knows.]
    You fail to realize one thing, Sony is suppose to uphold their product and not force their "customers" to get a revised product and banish the old one... whether it be for the homebrew user or the media center users they still have a product to uphold and they are forcing them to buy a new one by developing incompatible firmware updates... Is that fair to the average user? NO

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information