Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: No More Game Boy?

General games No More Game Boy?

via IGN

Thanks to the incredible success of the DS, it's possible Nintendo may be waving good bye to the Game Boy - which has been going strong since 1989 - as George Harrison confirms the company may never return to one of its best know brands.

Speaking to GameDaily BIZ, senior vice president of marketing and corporate communications George Harrison revealed: "This year in our marketing you really won't see much push against Game Boy itself, so it will kind of seek its own level. It's hard to say in the future if we will ever bring back the Game Boy trademark."

Back in 2005, Nintendo launched the DS as the 'third pillar' of its hardware line-up, alongside Game Boy and its home console. However, the DS's meteoric rise has apparently put the kibosh on any plans to release a Game Boy Advance 2.

However, Harrison noted that dropping the Game Boy name in favour of the untested DS brand wasn't an easy decision. "It was a big risk for us to actually pass on it and call the new product the Nintendo DS," he revealed, "but it was part of Mr. Iwata's philosophy that if we're going to make a radical difference and try to reach a new audience, then we have to change the name... we had to make a break even though we had one of the greatest trademarks in the history of the industry."

That's a stupid decision, what the hell were Nintendo thinking?

Oh im thinking of my first gameboy. I will miss this name.

Aww bye gameboy!

dang no more gba games

Well isn't the DS essentially a Game Boy? I mean just because the name is not 'Game Boy DS' doesn't make it something entirely different. What I'm getting at is the Nintendo DS is the successor to Nintendo's Game Boy franchise so why classify it as something totally different?

the GB series will never die, they should of called gameboy DS or some crap like that

DS was never meant to be the next gameboy, it was more of a gimmick but to their surprise it was a success.

If the DS was a fluke the real game boy would of been something to go against the psp. Probably more advanced than the DS in graphics.

Too bad it got to popular and they gonna stick with this for a while. I'm gonna miss it, I was waiting for the new game boy to come out for me to buy it instead of the DS because it was not the successor but that's out the window.

so in their next generation handhelds they arent going to add gameboy support?? damm..

lol... i dont care about this at all.
    I like the name changes.
    It's more interesting than sony PS, PS1, PS2, PS3, PSP, PSP slim and lite, PS2 slim....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information