Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Okiwi v0.2 Alpha- Web Browser for the Nintendo DS

Blog Entries

NDS Okiwi v0.2 Alpha- Web Browser for the Nintendo DS

Today sees a new release for Okiwi the Web Browser for the Nintendo DS:

Heres whats new:

At last, after several days in which I have been one with my computer, I'm releasing the second alpha of Okiwi (version 0.2).

It allows to read files from the card (by entering addresses like file:///path, like, for example, file:///test.html) or Internet (http://...). Some pages are displayed fairly well (specially blogs, like this, which is preconfigured as the home page), while others don't work at all, so I'll have to investigate little by little what Okiwi fails to know.

By now it's able to interpret numerous CSS 2.1 properties, like margins, paddings, floating, colors, etc., altough there are several missing. Some other things not done yet are: tables, forms, cookies and images. There are also some other bugs and lacks I'm aware of.

To scroll a page, dragging with the stylus is still the only way. 75% and 150% zoom levels, which were missing in the first version, have been added. To follow a link, it's enough to "click" on it, altough it doesn't work always, and I must debug it.

The good news is that, from now on, new versions will be released with a much higher frequency. I'll release one each time I implement one of the lacking features or fix important bugs.

The installation procedure of this release is the same as the last, so I encourage the reading of the instructions I published that time. If someone has still the old version in his card, it's recommended to erase it completely before installing this one.

Well, I hope you like it and keep on there.

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

cool stuff, i'll give this a shot at work tomorrow. get that JPEG support in for the M3 Perfect's 32 MB RAM, and pr0n sites will work! lolz...

anywho, love the way this browser is developing!

woot...can't wait to test this out.

nice.
    ive been waiting for a new release.
    keep up the good work!

DCEmu Newbie

This browser may have the slowest updates, but it sure looks promising.

the slowest updates? besides bunjalloo, has any other browser actually been updated?

and to Pedro, good job and keep it up.

mine doesnt work. games n music sucks

Quote Originally Posted by gutbub View Post
    the slowest updates? besides bunjalloo, has any other browser actually been updated?
    On a semi-related note, I found it interesting that in the past week or so, three browsers were updated, all three of which hadn't seen updates for months: Bunjalloo, DSHobro, and Okiwi. I'd say that's some good timing really. All three are now fairly usable, though I'll probably still stick with using Retawq in DSLinux.

DCEmu Newbie

You're forgetting DSOrganize Web Browser plugin, better than Bunjaloo IMHO...

Also, when loading Okiwi all that I got is a swirl on the touchscreen... is that normal?

Im using Supercard miniSD on a DS Phat.

Quote Originally Posted by Meloku View Post
    You're forgetting DSOrganize Web Browser plugin, better than Bunjaloo IMHO...
    I'm talking about ones that were updated in the past week or so. I too agree that DSO's one is very usable.

Also, when loading Okiwi all that I got is a swirl on the touchscreen... is that normal?

Im using Supercard miniSD on a DS Phat.
    For some reason, I can't get it to work on one of my miniSD cards, but it does work when I use it on my other miniSD card that uses SCSD_moon.dldi instead of SCSD.dldi. Try using the alternate file or something.

It also sits at that swirling screen for a few minutes before continuing for me. If the top screen is red however, then something has gone wrong and it's not just wasting time processing.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information