Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nevermind Global Terrorism Lets Target Modchips

Blog Entries

General games Nevermind Global Terrorism Lets Target Modchips

The last week the world of modchips has took a massive beating and lets be fair anyone selling pirated discs and consoles chipped along with pirated discs is themselves to blame, but in a world with Global Terrorism so high on the agenda and so many other worrying global events like Global Warming its staggering that worldwide authorities are so devoted against modchips. Piracy does ruin consoles and the global games market but wouldnt it be better to actually join forces and fight the real evils of this world, heres the newspost of a massive raid in the UK from Next gen:

Digg This News:

The discovery of chipped Wii and Xbox 360 consoles at a residential property was made after officers first raided a tradesman’s stall at a Halifax market. When his residence was later searched, West Yorkshire Police unearthed a staggering 246 Wii and 168 Xbox 360 consoles.

Also included in the haul were 19 PSPs, 12 DS Lites, 6 PlayStation 2s and 6 PlayStation 3s, along with other pirating material such as computers used for the duplication of copied discs, illegal chips, 300-400 copied games discs, and £5,000 in cash.

The original operation at the market also resulted in the seizure of over 5000 illegal discs with a retail value of over £50,000.

Ed Balls, Secretary of State for Children, Schools and Families and one of Prime Minister Gordon Brown’s closest allies, remarked that the operation, codenamed Poseidon, highlighted an excellent use of government funding in the fight against video games copyright crime.

All seized consoles have now been sent to ELSPA’s (Entertainment & Leisure Software Publishers Association) Anti-Piracy Unit (APU) for forensic examination.

“I congratulate West Yorkshire Trading Standards and west Yorkshire Police for what stands as a landmark seizure of chipped consoles and illegally copied discs. The scale of the operation and the removal of counterfeit material from the market place will have an immediate impact on local businesses in the area,” said Michael Rawlinson, managing director of ELSPA.

“Copyright crime is driven by greed and causes a loss of millions of pounds to retailers of West Yorkshire and to members of the music and entertainment industry every year,” said Graham Hebblethwaite, chief officer of West Yorkshire Trading Standard.

“The haul of items from this operation should send out a clear warning to individuals involved in the illegal copyright industry that they will dealt with severely. This sort of crime carries a maximum sentence of 10 years imprisonment,” he added.

The world is full of double standards and soft targets it seems.

Banned

So wait this site might be closed then?

I've seen murderers go in to prison for less time! O_O Of course, vendors of pirated games sure, but people who bought or own a modchip or flashcart?! WTF!

Quote Originally Posted by kiariki View Post
    I've seen murderers go in to prison for less time!
    agreed lol, there have always been raids such as this im just wondering why people have decided to bring it up now

DCEmu Art Pro

2 diggs. Owned.

I have never seen anything on DCEmu reach more than 10 diggs.

DCEmu Newbie

[/sarcasm] I for one will be sleeping safely in my bed tonight knowing there is one less modchipper in the world [/end sarcasm]

Some people buy modchips/flashcarts for development/homebrew reasons!

Surely not everyone who buys one has the intension of using it for piracy!

Sir Digby Chicken Caesar Darksaviour69's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by S34MU5 View Post
    2 diggs. Owned.

http://digg.com/search?s=dcemu&submi...=all&sort=most

DCEmu Newbie

This person wont get 10 years....
    Always scare mungering. This person had a large amount of copied material illegal piracy which he was selling. The vast amount seized shows how much he was doing, and so will be in far more trouble.

People who have bought just a modchip and flashcart wont get in trouble lol. This was a large operation, and so caught the eye of the law.

Don't go on about why they target something small like this when theres terrorism in the world etc. Thats weak, So they should just let them do something illegal, sit there and do nothing?
    It was hardly a soft target was it, £50,000 of copied games with what near 300 wii's etc.

"Piracy does ruin consoles and the global games market but wouldnt it be better to actually join forces and fight the real evils of this world". So all police forces that don't need, have never or dont intend to deal with global terriorism should now drop what they are doing and seek out bombers. Yes, great idea! Let all other crimes be free and acceptable.

So if you havent relised by now, Yes I hate people who regard these big things as petty and small. Its like someone who gets caught driving 10 mph over the speed limit and gets pulled over and gets angry at the copper. Basically "YOU SHOULD BE OUT CATCHING MURDERERS", its so funny. There's no excuses, your breaking the law.

On the other hand, if someone got into trouble for downloading music, only for themselves to listen to. Thats petty, and small.

Quote Originally Posted by S34MU5 View Post
    2 diggs. Owned.

I hadn't seen any get alot over 100, but I stand corrected

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information