Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nintendo Crack Down on Legal Homebrew

Blog Entries

Thumbs down Nintendo Crack Down on Legal Homebrew

PeterM a respected coder in the PSP scene has today posted news on our Wii-News site that the latest system update for the Nintendo Wii has stopped the SD Media Launcher from working.

A sad moment when legal homebrew is attacked.

DIGG THIS NEWS

DCEmu Rookie

If illegal copies of anything could be used with that, I can't blame them. Otherwise, if it only ran homebrew and they stopped it from working on purpose, then I guess I can blame them.

Im gonna guess that NES/SNES/Megadrive could be run through this SD Media Loader? Posed a treat to Virtual Console Sales perhaps? Only real reason i can see Nintendo taking such action. Money.
    -Xiofire

I could be on for a triple whammy of news posts tonight if Wraggy twigs that there's an open beta of Quake for the GameCube available for download now...
    http://code.google.com/p/quake-gamecube/

My development blog:
    http://aaiiee.wordpress.com/

If you enjoy my homebrew work, please consider donating a few bucks.

DCEmu Coder

Yes, this device did have the potential to take revenue away from Nintendo for the Virtual Console titles. Unfortunately this also prevents people like myself from testing/releasing anything for the Wii/GC without purchasing a dev kit from them. With their current restrictions on who they will sell a kit to it makes it very hard to obtain. I can qualify for all but one of their restrictions, the problem for me is that I work out of a home office. They specifically state that a home office is against their rules. That said, I could easily rent space for a non-home office from my father-in-law but it would be less secure than my home office.

Maybe in some time I will end up with a dev kit, until then I will keep working on the PC and then tinker with the NDS/DC for my games.

Mike

DCEmu Newbie

Any way to rent the non-home space long enough to qualify then drop it later once you get what you want? Or rent the space and work from home anyway? Not sure how it works, I don't think they would use spy tactics to make sure you comply 24/7.

i just dont think theyre too happy with the snes, nes and megadrive being emulated coz they want you to buy their games from the virtual console

I'd have been more inclined to buy VC games if they actually worked on my TV set.
    My development blog:
    http://aaiiee.wordpress.com/

If you enjoy my homebrew work, please consider donating a few bucks.

DCEmu Coder

Quote Originally Posted by waco13 View Post
    Any way to rent the non-home space long enough to qualify then drop it later once you get what you want? Or rent the space and work from home anyway? Not sure how it works, I don't think they would use spy tactics to make sure you comply 24/7.
    I could probably get the space for free if I ask about it. The bigger problem is that they do actively check on their licensed developers to some extent.

At this point though, I will keep with what is going now and if they do release their rumored "homebrew" channel then I will certainly participate in that.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mcdougall57 View Post
    i just dont think theyre too happy with the snes, nes and megadrive being emulated coz they want you to buy their games from the virtual console
    Yep, they want us to pay for games that we already own... Just so we can play them on a new system.

Same with the PSP playing PS1 games.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information