Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Java for NDS Release 2

Blog Entries

NDS Java for NDS Release 2

Davr has updated his release of Java for the Nintendo DS, heres the full news from his site:

I know what you’re thinking…”That’s a horrible idea and you’re a horrible person for suggesting it!”

The main problems with Java on DS:
    1. Interpreted languages are slower, the overhead is bad on a slower embedded platform
    2. No direct memory access. Almost all of the DS hardware is interfaced by reading and writing directly to specific memory locations
    3. No primitive unsigned 8-bit types. What were they thinking?

But…I went ahead and did it anyway, just for fun. I didn’t start from scratch, I took Torlus’s KVM port to GBA and used that as a base for getting it to work on DS. Right now, when it starts, you pick a .class file, and it will run it! In addition, using KNI, I’ve written a basic wrapper around parts of libnds, enough to read input from the touchscreen/buttons, and to move sprites around.

To use this demo, place kvm.nds, all the *.class files, and all the *.bin files on the root of your flashcart.
    Run kvm.nds, then select a .class file to run. There are a few examples testing various stuff.
    Don’t forget to DLDI-patch the kvm.nds

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

DCEmu Rookie

think this would ever be able to be implimented into a browser?

DCEmu Coder

Probably not. I remember using Java on a 100Mhz Pentium in Netscape Navigator and it wasn't exactly blisteringly quick and that was with simple code, not what's used today.

Runescape Runescape Runescape Runescape Runescape Runescape Runescape Runescape Runescape Runescape Runescape Runescape Runescape Runescape Runescape Runescape Runescape Runescape Runescape Runescape Runescape Runescape Runescape Runescape Runescape Runescape Runescape Runescape Runescape Runescape Runescape Runescape Runescape Runescape Runescape Runescape Runescape Runescape Runescape Runescape Runescape Runescape Runescape Runescape Runescape Runescape Runescape Runescape

Sry For Making It So Big But .......... Runescape Runescape Runescape

DCEmu Newbie

There will never be Runescape on DS.

I really need to look more into this. I'm learning Java in my first real programming class at school, and while I did make a class for this that prints out rows of stars[1], I didn't do too much else with it. I wonder what else I'm learning could be applied to the DS here...

[1] it was a simple program. Calling obj.starGenerator(5) would give this as output:
    Changing the number simply made it run more before counting back down. It was basically just an exercise in "for" and "while" loops.

DCEmu Newbie

Try porting a java based roguelike to the DS?
    http://roguebasin.roguelikedevelopme...php?title=Java

Isn't there already a fine-tuned Nethack port to the DS that doesn't use Java?

DCEmu Newbie

Runescape can be exicuted on the DS through a appilication called DS2win

DCEmu Newbie

Can this play mobile java games?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information