Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WildC*rd statement on the use of our source code and explanation of the leak

Respect bro!!! you have my respect and thx for everything and I hope these stupid no life lamers would not harm you again!
    Thx.

DCEmu Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Murdock View Post
    1. Why is it so bad that the source became released?
    Because they didn't want it released. Seriously, that should be more than enough. It's not anyone's right to have this code.
    Everyone is just saying "hey, why do u restrict this software/hardware, so we can't do this 'n' that? that sux" ... U get my point? I think it's okay to base your work on information that someone else has gathered/worked hard for, as long as you give credit for this.
    If the developers want to let you use their code, sure. If they don't want to, but you use it anyways, then that's disrespectful, flat out.
    I'm not talking about copying 1:1 the work of thers, but let's say s/o else builds a CFW on the SC of Wildcard. But this CFW is not like Wildcards, but with some new, innovative ideas (hell, I just lack an example, sry!). And if they officially say "hey, we made this ourselves, but we used stuff from Wildcard, thx for your work", this would be entirely okay ... why not?!
    Because they would not have learned how to build a custom firmware. They would have learned how to make tweaks to someone else's code. It is to their own detriment as they don't actually learn how it all works.

The fact that something was leaked does not suddenly mean it's fair game. That's not how the real world works.

I entirely agree with the statement that the homebrew scene was kinda shocked by this action of hacking the accounts ... BUT:
    1. Why is it so bad that the source became released?
    It wasn't released.
    It was um... stolen.

A public source in my eyes is always something that everyone can profit from (I do NOT mean financially!)
    Sure, if its released from its creators as public then its public.

2. Why was the "scene" drawn into the dirt by this?
    It encourages bad code.
    It shows no respect to those who can.
    Why should they be required to give away their code?
    Do you think this encourages folks with talent to work for free?

I mean okay, they got into the system and stole data, that's not the "polite" way of getting information
    Its just not impolite, its extremely rude.
    It muddies the scene with bad options.
    Hurts users with bad code that damages their stuff.
    Damages trust of people willing to use their software. <-

3. okay, I understand why Wildcard do not want other people to profit from their work.
    Especially NOT PROFIT from their work.
    Its all done for free!
    In the spirit of what it truly means to "hack"
    Its principle of the highest ground that has nothing to do with law or money.

U get my point?
    Do you get mine?

I think it's okay to base your work on information that someone else has gathered / worked hard for
    For an amature who copies work of artists to learn its fine.
    Posting as their own and expecting any respect?
    get it?

(hell, I just lack an example, sry!).
    No, its about lack of true skill and talent and respecting that.

but IF your claim that they released it because of a financial benefit, then they are definately miserable characters
    Agreed.

PSP Coder

Think about it. You're talking here about people who could use their skills to earn £50+ per hour. The decision to spend lots and lots of that time (hundreds of hours) doing something to give away free to an often unappreciative community, isn't an obvious one to make.

Now give that community an attitude that says it's OK to forcibly steal and misappropriate that work. Does that make the decision to freely donate time easier, or harder to make?

I've seen a lot of good guys already driven from the PSP homebrew scene due to the appalling attitude of the people they were trying to help. This just makes it worse.
    Using firmware v2.00-v2.80? Open up a whole world of homebrew here
    The PSP Homebrew Database needs YOU!
    Don't let your ISP get away with illegal wiretaps. Stop Phorm Now!

sigh... people who steals deserves to die straight forward..... what possibilities of a leaked source code can get to?

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by wildcard View Post
    We had reversed DA's OE CFW and were in the middle of updating it to 3.51/3.52. We already had a working 3.40* but we were never planning to release it, since we knew it wouldnt be able to compete with M33 (who had by then already released a 3.52 version of theirs with advanced features such as NO-UMD). More importantly, we hadn't ironed out all bugs yet. So we were waiting until our 3.52 version was complete before releasing.
    So does this mean that no future releases are to be expected from Wildc*rd?

It sounds like a TKO due to lamers...and M33's superior CFW...it would be nice to have multiple CFW coders out there...kinda puts the pressure on each other...

DCEmu Old Pro

Nah, as far as I know they are still working on 3.52

They wouldn't let lamers stop them that easily.

Cloudy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information