Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Name the Best of the Homebrew Releases

These have to be in the top 5 for me

Any custom firmware
    gpsp
    e-loader/hen
    dgen
    All the fantastic downgraders that have been made (if they can all be put into one category)

daedalus
    irshell
    gpsp
    snestyl
    devhook
    pimpstreamer
    pops hack to play psone games on custom firmware
    custom firmware period

way too many choices

1. M33 firmwares (NP9660 iso loader & ps1 emu)
    2. gpsp
    3. daedalus
    4. downgraders
    5. irshell

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy4point0 View Post
    Daedalus - some people said it was impossible at first, but we now have near full speed n64 emulation. i love playing my n64 games on the go. strmnnrmn has put lots of work into this and i really love the program

iris - iris is not being worked on anymore but was my first and probably my favorate homebrew ever on the psp. psmonkey put alot of great effort in this. it was an extreamly modable third person shooter that was shapping up to be quite the amazing game. psmonkey even got hired to a profetional company for his coding projects and that is why he cant work on it anymore.

irshell - i love ir shell, when you dont have acsess to a computer, just download a file with your psp web browser, unzip it, move it, and play it. you can play music at the same time as an iso or a game, even homebrew or whatever else you want. irshell is a exelent multitasking shell coded by ahman.

gpsp - first called imposible, now amazing gameboy advanced emualator. perfectly emulates almost every gba rom. playing gba on a big screen and not having to carry around multiple systems is always great. thanks exophase for the excellent program.

PSPtube - the newest of my favorates, people have always been eager for streaming video in the psp web browser, thats not quite possible yet but resently nekomimi has released a program to stream youtube to your psp. its extreamly nice, smooth, and runs great.

keep up the great work everyone. thank you for making the playstation portable such an amazing handheld system.
    Wow! i have to agree with Buddy on this on the only thing i would change is PSPtube and i would go with Pimpstreamer. It's like u read my mind Buddy, awesome post.

How about the kxploit? In all seriousness, I vote the kxploit and MapThis!

DCEmu Newbie

lumines exploit
    Yes, your psp is hackable.
    DAX 3.4oe
    stable, custom xmbs, just sexy.
    AFKIM
    now I just need a phone app and I will have a sidekick killer.

Default My Top 5 for the PSP Scene

First - Custom Firmware

Release Date:

From HarelyG's Custom Firmware for 1.5 ( July 18th, 2006 ) to the new 3.52 M33 Custom Firmware ( July 30th, 2007 )

Review:

The best thing to ever come to the PSP was Custom Firmware. It allowed us to do many things ( running non-kxploited eboots and change our mhz rating to the full 333mhz ) and helped us keep our PSP's safe ( all thanks to the recovery mode ). With the newer firmwares ( 3.00 to 3.52 ), we can run PS1 games, enjoy the internet, play our new umd games and so much more.

This sets the bar for the best thing ever released for the PSP!

Second - DevHook

Release Date:

From DevHook 0.45 ( which emulated 2.0 firmware ) to the newest Devhook 0.52.0100 ( which emulates 3.11 )

Review:

Way back when the psp was still developing in the scene, we had only 1.5 CF and the newly released GTA: LCS. People wanted to play GTA, but our little firmware spoofer didnt work. Solution? DevHook of course! DevHook allowed us to play newer games while we were on 1.5. As later games and our homebrew apps were released, DevHook proved to be important for use with icon swapper and lots of firmware modifications ( you could try it on devhook and if you liked it......you could flash it to the psp ).

It might not be the greatest thing ever released ( close to it )... but its still a important part of the psp's homebrew history.

Third - IR Shell

Release Date:

From IR Shell 1.0 ( February 17th, 2006 ) to IR Shell 3.61 ( August 5th, 2007 )

Review:

A little app/shell that does it all, from taking screenshots of your games and homebrew to controlling all your IR devices. Not only that, it allows you to net host and usb host files ( so you can acess them from anywhere ). Really a great thing if your low on space

If you have a PSP, you need this ASAP!

Screenshots:

Fourth - Ozone

Release Date:

Ozone was released on July 10th, 2007

Review:

This little puzzle type game is amazing, not only is it original... but very addictive. Words cant describe it.... so you'll have to play it yourself

Pictures:

Fifth - Iris

Release Date:

From Iris 1.0 ( January 11th, 2006 ) to Iris 2.0 ( May 19th, 2006 )

Review:

This is what started ( in my opinion ) the 3D revolution on PSP. It showed that the PSP had the power to do 3D games. Its a 3rd person shooter thats based off of Quake2 models and Quake3 mapping. There are many mods for Iris, all great in the like .

Screenshots:

( wouldnt let me show threw img code )

------------------------------------------------

Thats my Top 5 for the PSP Scene, I didnt include emulators because all emulators are great

Thanks for Everything,
    PSPdemon

edit: i have no clue what happened to my 5th one......it just got all buggy O_o ill see about fixing it so its right
    edit2: FIXED!
    404 Error: This signature is missing!

DCEmu Rookie

In my opinion, Dark Alex's 3.40 OE custom firmware would be at the top of my list. This firmware manages to do the impossible, allow homebrew support while still making all of the PSP official firmware's features still available without updating and downgrading. Later custom firmwares have been based on his work. Without 3.40 OE firmware, homebrew would not be nearly as practical on the PSP right now.

My favourite emulators on the PSP are:

GPSP
    This emulator allows me to run my Gameboy Advance games on the PSP and makes them look pretty damned good. All I need is the GBA BIOS and I can easily run these games at full speed.

SNES9X TYL
    In the not too distant past, I enjoyed playing the Super NES games I grew up with on this emulator. Sure, not all of them run at full speed, but most of them work perfectly and this emulator helps to bring back many fond memories.

DGEN:
    When I was younger I owned a SEGA Nomad system, which was basically a 16 bit portable system that played SEGA Genesis games. DGEN has allowed me to play those games I used to enjoy while on the go once again, this time without the need for a bulkier retro system that sucks the life out of my batteries. I used to get a nostalgaeic feeling every time I started playing games through this emulator.

Favourite Apps:

PSP Radio
    It's been awhile since the last release of PSP Radio, but this app is still original and impressive even by today's standards. PSP Radio can play your MP3s and comes with several skins and visuals but its defining feature is the fact that it can play internet radio broadcasts using a wireless connection.

POP Station
    This application may not run on the PSP, but it has the ability to convert most PS1 games that people may have collected over the years into a format that can run on the PSP. Several of those games actually look as good on the PSP as a commercial game (or at least close enough to it). Other PS1 to PSP conversion apps have been based off POP Station.

Mio Media Box
    OK, so this is not one of the more popular apps in the homebrew scene, but I still consider it to be quite useful. Mio Media Box is a Windows application that downloads RSS feeds and creates JPEG images that can easily be read on the PSP while on the go. No need for additional software or an EBOOT, you could just go to the XMB's picture icon and browse through the RSS feeds at your leisure even if you are stuck with an official firmware version and unable to install a homebrew text reader. This program can also convert text and notes into a JPEG format that can be read on the PSP, meaning you just copy and paste addresses and/or driving directions or some other information, tell the program to do its thing, and you are good to go.

Favourite Games (bear with me, it's a long list):

No Gravity
    No Gravity is a 3D space flight simulation that is similar to Wing Commander. The PSP version of this game is still in a demo phase, but it already has excellent graphics and is quite playable.

Callisto
    Callisto is a 100% original homebrew 2D scrolling shooter. By that I mean it is not based on anything, does not rip off any game, and the graphics are 100% original. This game is quite challenging and still manages to both frustrate and entertain me, and the graphics are pretty damned good. When this game was first released it raised the bar for other homebrew developers (well, at least in the 2D gaming genre).

R-Gear
    R-Gear is a 2D side scrolling shooter based on R-Type, it also features good graphics and solid gameplay. This game is a true challenge for anybody who loves 2D shooting games, and contains some pretty good graphics and power ups.

Pollo Pollo
    This is a professionally done clone of Puyo Puyo, but this time around all of the characters are chickens. The graphics and sound are solid and the characters themselves are quite amusing.

Breakthrough
    This is a well done Arkanoid/Breakout clone, with a few added features to make the game more challenging. Along with the usual brick breaking and power ups this game also contains a feature that allows you to alter the horizontal speed of the ball (which becomes essential in some levels), difficult boss battles, and unlockable mini games.

Ozone
    This game is quite original. In this game, you play the role of a blob or molecule that releases air in order to propel itself and attempt to collect all of the blue crystals before time runs out. Along the way, you also run into a diverse set of obstacles and enemies that you must overcome. This game's graphics are close to commercial quality, but even without the nice graphical effects the game would still be appealing.

Galactic Breakout
    This game is another Arkanoid/Breakout clone, but it contains some decent music and original obstacles. Another interesting note about this game is it actually has a plot (ok, maybe a rather thin plot, but it does add some interest to the game). This game is quite impressive for one that has been programmed in LUA.

Power Manga
    This is a rather decent and fun side scrolling shooter, complete with various power ups, different ships, over 50 levels (or so i have been tol, I am yet to beat the game), and a somewhat unique style that adds to the overall entertainment value of the game. While it may not be groundbreaking this game is still worth playing.

DOOM
    The PSP port of DOOM is well worth checking out if you are into games that have countless addons. This version of DOOm can run any DOOM or DOOM 2 IWAD, PWAD, or Dehacked file (or for those who do not know what I am talking about, it runs the commercial and shareware versions of DOOM as well as any addons and any files that change the gameplay mechanics of this game). It is easy enough to use, and with all the addons and conversions of this game out there it is likely to provide many hours of fun.

Quake
    The PSP version of Quake is on my list simply because it allows people to play Quake while on the go, and does so flawlessly with proper sound and graphics. I suppose that running total conversions of Quake is also possible with this port of the classic game, but have not tried it yet.

i love gpsp its so cool i can enjoy gba games i played a lot before on my psp ds owners is very surprised of this

Daedalus (n64 emu)
    M33 custom firmware
    yPaint (i use it as a note pad)
    the PSP Universal Remote Control (i use my psp to control my PS2 dvd player hehe)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information