Thread: Name the Best of the Homebrew Releases

Blog Entries

GBA Name the Best of the Homebrew Releases

Within the next week or so im going to post an article detailing the very best releases so far in every scene and this is where the whole DCEmu Community comes in, i want to compile the very best releases for each scene.

It doesnt matter if the release is a Game, Emulator, Demo or application/hack. If you are submitting what you consider the best please post a mini review and any details such as homepage and release date/ screenshots.

With that in Mind please post your top 5 releases for the GBA Scene.

DCEmu Newbie

Man, that's a lot of work just to say we like something, how about a Poll? Thems is easier.

DCEmu Newbie

wow cool.someone should digg this,you'd get more traffic and idea's
    i dont have a digg acount though.

Grargh, I had typed up all 5 and then accidentally closed Firefox. And then hit Refresh when I was trying to hit F6 to find a url to link to. Here it is, for the third time:

GBA GSM Player by Tepples, one of my most often used GBA homebrew apps. Lets you listen to music in a format the GBA can decode while still retaining an acceptable audio quality.

Goomba Color by Dwedit. GBC emulation on the GBA was thought impossible until Dwedit modified the original Goomba source to add GBC support. Many/most GBC games run at full speed with sound. Alpha 6 package download available here with an updated emulator core available here. Screenshots here.

Snezziboy by Bubble2k and SNES Advance by loopy, flubba, sephiroth2k, and more. Using a combination of these two emulators, a surprisingly large portion of the SNES library is playable, though at slow speeds and with slow sound, which is still an achievement for the 16 MHz system.
    Screenshots available here.
    For optimum usage, the updated SuperDAT from this PocketHeaven thread is recommended. With SNES Advance, just overwrite the old file. With Snezziboy, rename snezzi.dat to something else and save the SuperDAT as snezzi.dat. Open both up with Notepad and merge the old snezzi.dat settings into the new larger file. This is because it's usually best to use SNES Advance speedhacks and fixes except for a few games that have Snezziboy-specific patches, so by merging the two DATs you get the best compatibility. With Snezziboy, note that you must press L+R+Start in each game to set the controls (only needs to be done once) and to change background settings to fix graphics.

PocketNES by loopy. Runs nearly all NES games at full speed with accurate sound, with several scaling options to make playing on the smaller GBA screen as enjoyable as possible. Offers cheat support, autofire, savestates, 2-player via a link cable, and more.

GBA JPEG Viewer by Tony Savon. This tool allows you to store hundreds of images in a single GBA binary. If you change the JPEG options before adding your files, you can also make it possible to zoom in to your pictures x2 when viewing them on the GBA. Best image viewer available for the GBA, and a very professional one, with slideshow capability and various options you can change.

Here is my 5

1)bulletGBA
    2)UranusZERO
    3)Thrust
    4)Goomba
    5)Vulkanon

My favorite GBA homebrew game is Mario Balls. It is the game I most play in my Micro even if I beated it about 5 times!

No bugs, perfect and most engaging gameplay, ok graphics, nice intro Mario rap,... it even have secret backgrounds!

where is the article?

DCEmu Newbie

Red face ONLY a month late... my GBA top 5!

I'm very late to the conversation, but I did register here just to post this, so I do hope you'll excuse my severe tardiness. (^_^)`

>coff< >ahem<
    My GBA homebrew top 5:

5. 2004Mbit Compo - by gbadev.com
    (multiple high-quality homebrew games in one rom)

4. Another World - by Foxy & Eric Chahi
    (hombrew that became the official conversion, but is still free!)

3. Thrust - by Grumpy Cat
    (conversion of ancient >ahem!< classic AtariST game)

2. PocketNES - by loopy and flubba
    (NES. Pocket-sized.)

1. Powder - by Jeff Lait
    (excellent turn-based roguelike/dungeon-crawler - also available for ds, pc and linux, but created for GBA.)

I've yet to find any to top these... but I'm still searching! (~_^)

Other roms on my "top GBA homebrew faves" include:
    AGBRogue, AGBHack, Herg's Yahtzee, Herg's Solitaire, Wordwise, Tank Commander, Pocket Arcade, PocketSMS, EliteAGB, GBA JPEG Viewer...

--
    ps: I'm with happyED.
    where is the article?

I just bought a Game Boy Micro today. I already hacked my PSP. But I'm unfamilar with the micro. Can anyone suggest a guide or tutorial for Micro Noobs?

what do you want to do with it?

Thread Information