Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: jEnesisDS 0.5 - Genesis/Megadrive Emulator for the Nintendo DS

DCEmu Pro

I don't think we should get pushy. I believe Lordus knows that there is no sound (sarc) and wants it to have sound as much as/ more than anyone else.
    Even if he doesn't get sound working, it is a great accomplishment , He mentioned adding sound will be like having a SMS emulator running along side jenesisDS. A PSP and GP2X can run Genesis/MD games with sound. Me I'll stick with my trusty DS.

DCEmu Newbie

Does anyone have a compatibility list or can you tell if the splatterhouses work?

DCEmu Newbie

Hey Lordus, have you a date in mind to release an update for the damn best Genesis emu?

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

If everyone researches it -> it IS true that the Genesis CPU was faster, however, it is fact that the Genesis sound chip was inferior to that of the SNES. I've played several games released for both consoles and if you do sound tests yourself you'll see the Genesis sounds always sound worse. Not that they're BAD, just inferior to SNES's audio.

Dcemu Coder

Quote Originally Posted by jonlad1 View Post
    Hey Lordus, have you a date in mind to release an update for the damn best Genesis emu?
    Thanks, but no date. As said before, i first have to get a new DS and as things look at the moment, that wont be before the end of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Landau_TST View Post
    If everyone researches it -> it IS true that the Genesis CPU was faster, however, it is fact that the Genesis sound chip was inferior to that of the SNES. I've played several games released for both consoles and if you do sound tests yourself you'll see the Genesis sounds always sound worse. Not that they're BAD, just inferior to SNES's audio.
    Unfortunately, as i said before, the subjective quality of the sound has nothing to do with the processing power needed to emulate it. The Genesis has an additional Z80 CPU for sound drivers + the Yamaha FM chip, which on its own already needs more power than the SNES SPC700. They just work on completely different principles.
    For the Genesis chip you have to do realtime fm synthesis: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frequen...tion_synthesis
    The SNES can do no such thing. It also depends on personal preferences. Personally i like the distinct sound of FM synthesis on the Genesis more than the SNES sound. That is, if the creators knew what they were doing.
    The Batman and Robin soundtrack is great for example: http://www.sigmaecho.com/batman/batman.html

But that game was technically impressive for the Genesis anyway

sound and it would be awsome, man io just can't wait to play micheal jackssons moonwalker

When will the next release come out?
    The genesis emulator without sound isn't good at all i don't play with this emulator anymore its not worth it instead i play snes emulator which has sound i'm afraid all my credits go to the person who made the snes emulator is an charm the genesis emulator is hopeless, lordus if you want to match this emulator with snes one you will have to put sound in it to be greateast emulator at the moment it isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by sukhi-2006 View Post
    The genesis emulator without sound isn't good at all i don't play with this emulator anymore its not worth it instead i play snes emulator which has sound i'm afraid all my credits go to the person who made the snes emulator is an charm the genesis emulator is hopeless, lordus if you want to match this emulator with snes one you will have to put sound in it to be greateast emulator at the moment it isn't.
    If you want sound so bad, then donate so he can continue. Otherwise, STFU and be greatful he's taken it this far.

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by sukhi-2006 View Post
    When will the next release come out?
    Excuse me, your nick has a typo. It should be suck, not suhki.

BTW, Lordus, this YouTube ... it's fake?

Dcemu Coder

Quote Originally Posted by MasterMan View Post
    BTW, Lordus, this YouTube video... it's fake?
    No it's not fake. The version was from start of August though, so even older than the 0.5 release. It had just 2 FM channels @ 11KHz running and the implementation of Arm9-Arm7 communication and buffering was very buggy.
    So by now it sounds a lot better with all 6 FM channels working and a samplerate of at least 16KHz.

At the moment i continued working on the Java version though and put the DS version on hold, until i get a DS.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread Information