Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Overclocking the DC and where to get the Increase

Default Overclocking the DC and where to get the Increase

Ok I have my DC apart and I am ready of OCing but of course I need a chip for increasing the mhz from 33.333 to something above 40. I want the highest I can get as its main use will be for SNES and NES emu's.

I have been reading up and found that it seems the use of a quartz crystal was pref but no longer as easy to find. What is a good sub? I do not plan on putting this DC back to the stock settings as I have another to play with. I am curious though as it says 40mhz was the fastest with no cooling mods, I have no problem upping the cooling but I would like to know what others have tried, like the peak of 276 (I have heard 286)basically I would like to know what they used. I would like to hit the same 276 since that seems to be the limit of the stock voltage. So I need a sub for a full time mod to my DC for this, if I can get it at radio shack all the better.

Thanks guys!!!

Aww, nothing yet and I am getting ready to go to town...anyone have anything for me on what to use for the sub?

You still need a crystal oscillator in order to overclock. A 45-46MHz one will do nicely in your case. If there was a way to increase the stock voltage, you COULD just sub in the gfx clock line and get 324MHz, but this is impossible until I can track down where the CPU gets it internal 1.8v power from. So until then, you NEED an oscillator, its not something you can bypass.

I think I found one its a 46mhz I will get it monday. Now to see what kind of cooling works. I think I can mod a laptop heatsink in.

Good luck. The highest AVERAGE overclock is about 270MHz. Simply because not many oscillators seem to offer successful LARGE overclocks. Only 1 person has hit 286, and he himself doesnt know why. I am nearly certain its voltage related, but no way to prove it.

It's weird that matt doesnt know how he did it, is there any test for the CPU speed? such as a simple program that runs clock tests on GPU and CPU, would be useful for OCing DC's.

I guess I will find out if its any good once I try. I just want to push SNES Emulation further and since I can not code it this is the only other option.

ON another note, I asked a few friends of mine at another forum to look into the voltage source for the processor, they said they would take a look.

ON another note, I asked a few friends of mine at another forum to look into the voltage source for the processor, they said they would take a look.
    Dozens of Dreamcast fans have spent hours trawling over DC mobo's trying to figure out the point where the voltage supply to the Sh-4 is produced and no one as of yet has found anything... but your gonna ask your mates, so we can all sleep easy at night now

Just joking, but this info won't be found easily on the internet as no one knows of anyone who has done it yet.

I got referred to another place by Dan Potter. It might be possible that i find out. As far as matt and the 286MHz OC are concerned, he didn't know how he did it since he had tried an oscillator rated lower and got a no-go, but the higher one worked. He knows its at 286, but not sure WHY the DC accepted that co.

Thats strange, lucky git must have had a DC that for some reason could do it.

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread Information