Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paramount drops Blu-ray support -- everybody groans

ps3 Paramount drops Blu-ray support -- everybody groans

via PS3 Fanboy

After months of reports proving that Blu-ray sells more movies than HD-DVD, Paramount's parent company Viacom has announced that they are dropping Blu-ray support and going HD-DVD exclusive. According to Viacom, they made this decision based on researching the benefits of HD-DVD, which "confirmed the clear benefits of HD DVD." Some of the benefits of HD-DVD that they mentioned included lower sales, a much smaller user base, and limited storage space (okay okay, they actually said 'market ready technology' and 'lower manufacturing costs').

There are rumors of a 150 million dollar payout by the HD-DVD consortium to nab the Viacom exclusivity, which sure would help explain the move more than the officially given reasons. Regardless, we now can look at the format-war that nobody wanted getting strung out even longer. Yay -- thanks Viacom.

Viacom sucks! I can't believe they did that.

Anything that hurts Sony's $#@! consoles sounds good to me

DCEmu Newbie

Default I second that

Quote Originally Posted by omega:-:joe View Post
    I hate the idea of Blu-Ray winning the war because it's largely a Sony product

That's really big news. Glad to see 360finally getting exclusive releases.

ugh, a] this stretches thing out more which is bad, b] i really wanted to pick up a few of those titles on blu ray. man, this sucks. :[

Quote Originally Posted by omega:-:joe View Post
    well that is your negative side, who is on your possitive side? [trying to make this as simple as possible]

umm thats a dumb move they've made(guess they dont care about making money), and oh wow ,geez, xbot fanbots will rejoice over this for some weird reason xD.

forget movies, i want games lol

Quote Originally Posted by jerrt View Post
    well that is your negative side, who is on your possitive side? [trying to make this as simple as possible]
    I'm a fan of games in general, but I have never had a good sony product. I do not have a single friend who has not had to buy 2 or more PS2s because they broke. I have a friend on his 3 PSP, and a nother friend who had a Vaio laptop for all of 3 months before it fried. I personally had to get 3 PS2s just to finish FFX because the disc drive kept crapping out.

That and I hate Sony's corporate attitude, and basically how they have lied their balls off recently "so the Wii is outselling the PS3, what does Sony have to say about this?" "The PS2 is outselling the will constantly" Not only did they a) use the wrong system as a comparison, it's not even an accurate statement for months now.

Also I will never forget going to last E3 and seeing the complete blatant ripoff of the Wii mote that is the Sixaxis. I mean, no developer aside from like 2 select one knew of that until E3.

I support Nintendo and Microsoft. Nintendo for their exclusive games as well as potential games like Orb, Thorn, Sadness, and such, and Microsoft because they actually are helping indie devs it seems (despite the issues I've heard of the 360, I only know one person who had to get a replacement)

OMFG i cant believe dis its true who pays the most money gets wat they want ... it pisses me off

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information