Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Uh oh....memory card = dead :(

PSP Coder

Default Uh oh....memory card = dead :(

Hey everyone...my memory card just died

At least, I think it is...anyone heard of this: when I put my memory card in, the activity light continuously blinks orange. I'm pretty sure my card is dead, and it's now a useless piece of orange plastic with 256mb that can't be used anymore.

**** I'm pissed

DCEmu Rookie

Don't give up hope just yet... have you tried formatting the memory stick?

Power on your PSP with the memory stick in it, but no UMD game. In the options screen, highlight "Settings" (the icon looks like a toolbox), then "System Settings" (PSP with a wrench next to it), then "Format Memory Stick". Press X, then confirm that you want the stick formatted. You'll lose all the data on your stick, but it should become usable.

JR

Cool

You may also want to try removing it and putting it back in (with the PSP powered up) Also if you have any way to read it with your PC that's another idea to check before you consider it "dead"

Hey BTW how does this have anything to do with PSP Emulation & Homebrew??

"PSP Gaming & Hardware Forum"

PSP Coder

I tried formatting the memory stick, but it says there's no stick inserted, and I've also tried removing it and putting it back in...oh well.

Oh, and could a mod/admin move this for me, sorry about that.

Try putting in a PC card reader, and reformatting it FAT (Not FAT32)...

DCEmu Newbie

I'm beginning to wonder if this is a problem with third party memory sticks cause this happened TWICE with my "orange" little 3rd party stick. The first time I was able to reformate it on my PC. The 2nd time I cant do $#@! with it.

There are only two commonalities that existed at the time.

Same memory stick.
    I'm pretty sure that both times it happened while using MAME and it happened AFTER MAME locked up on me.

The difference between the two times.

Different version of MAME.
    1st time I was using the swap trick. 2nd time I was using the no stick swap.

PSP Coder

Hm.....I was using the no stick swap method...

I wish I had a memory stick reader for my PC....anyone reputable members around that have a PC reader/writer that I can send my card to for you to test?

I'm thinking about buying a new one, then swapping them out and returning...eBay has a Sony brand for under $20 right now, so I might buy it and tell the seller it's defective --- that's dishonest .

DCEmu Newbie

I'm with ya MSX. Same $hit happened to my 1GB Sandisk. I bought a new one from Staples, returned the defective one, currently have the new 1 on Ebay and am buying a Sony 1GB in a few days. F*CK SANDISK!

DCEmu Newbie

Talking Here is a guide to fix your corrupted Memory Stick (it's not dead, it's CORRUPTED)

Here is a guide to fix your corrupted Memory Stick (it's not dead, it's CORRUPTED)

You know it's corrupted if when the PSP starts up it accesses the stick, then after a few seconds the access light will simply blink. For some reason the PSP doesn't want to reformat it; it thinks there is no stick inserted.

1- Go to Best Buy, or whatever electronics store
    2- Buy a PC Memory Stick-compatible card reader
    3- Insert your Memory Stick in the reader
    4- Format it using Windows (btw, when you do that, format it using FAT32. You'll squeeze a bit more space out of it)

Blammo. It doesn't die, it gets corrupted. It seems to happen mostly when putting the PSP into sleep mode while playing a rom; my guess is that people are sleeping the PSP while the emulator is accessing the stick for some reason.

Best way for this not to happen is to put the PSP to sleep mode while you are at the rom selector menu (or any other static emulator menu). There are a lot less chances of having Memory Stick accesses while in these menus.

It happened to me yesterday, and that's all it took to get it fixed. Don't freak out, don't go out and buy a new MS, just buy a cheap card reader and you'll be set.

Can someone confirm save games will work using FAT32 or just homebrew?

I'm too lazy to delete my memcard to check for you...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information