Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Google Racer?

Default Google Racer?

I use Google Maps at work alot, and during the occasional moment when I need a brief distraction from my actual work, I tend to browse the maps.

This got me wondering, though.... Is there any possibility that the map data from Google Maps (or any mapping program) could be used to dynamically create environments for a racing game?

I recall the interaction that SimCity2000 had with 'Streets of Sim City' (which, regrettably, don't work on WinXP). I also tend to daydream about racing around the streets of my native Milwaukee.

This wouldn't have to be a PSP project... I've just found that the PSP coders tend to be more likely to reply and either be inspired or shoot down the idea graciously. But combining a simple racing engine with the wealth of map data found online and perhaps injecting a sort of multiplayer mode similar to 'Test Drive Unlimited' where you can make your own races.... This would be the Street Racing Game To End All Street Racing Games.

GP2X Coder/Moderator

Yes, it would be possible.

interesting idea . not sure about unlicensed public access to the raw data tho.

With the type of company Google is, I think they'd be pleased as punch if someone went to them and said "Here, I have a demo of a racing game using Google Maps. Would you mind if we put this ridiculously fun game with your name on it in the hands of gamers all over the world?"

Initial demos showcasing only one city or something like that would probably be enough for testing and proof-of-concept, and wouldn't cause too much trouble. Opening up the entire world (And who knows... maybe even off-roading on the Moon and Mars...) would obviously require more resources that Google would need to provide.

Thumbs down

next time your having difficulty sleeping at your desk, check out
    the google maps terms & conditions.
    Trouble is, most of the data is 3rd party (used under license, not owned by google)
    & usually subject to copyright, especially
    strict for the interesting geoposition & 3D virtual versions.
    so good luck , but you may need a good legal team...

Ah, gotcha. That sucks majorly. Damn those overly restrictive parts of copyright laws.

DCEmu Newbie

Google's only 2d, which would suck. No easy way to implement a 3d replica of a town into a game. We can only hope someday, software is out that can take video footage of buildings and stuff, look at the video and cipher all the video data into 3d data, that would by far be easier to do if something like that is made.

DCEmu Newbie

Another big problem would be collision detection. How would the game know which parts of the maps were drivable and which were buildings?

PSP User

You could create static environments but dynamically generating them is gonna be much much harder.

Ultimately, I'd just like a good racer with a simple track builder. Like maybe updating the classic 'Racing Destruction Set' for the C64 to PSP-level GUI and graphics.

Ahhh... I have fond memories of that game...

But with a simple enough track builder one could easily craft reproductions of large swaths of cityscape. Hell, I could probably even do a decent job of Milwaukee's main thoroughfares with RCS. God knows I'm no programmer... 'Hello World' was about as far as I got with the PSP.

As for the surrounding scenery, it wouldn't need to be much of anything special, though this would be a great application for KML+Sat maps if we didn't already establish the legal problems that'd cause.

Prasoc
    PSP User

Say 'hi' to my cats while you're down there!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information