Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dreamcast VGA Hookup, worth the hype?

DCEmu Newbie

Default dreamcast VGA Hookup, worth the hype?

I just bought a dreamcast of ebay, and was thinking about getting a Computer monitor at a used computer store for cheap and use the dreamcast on it, but was wondering if anyone here has done this and is it worth the trouble or should i just use my TV, the TV is not HD by the way.

An HDTV wouldn't help you anyway, the DC doesn't support it... I use a VGA monitor with my DC that I code on and use my other in the living room on my TV. On the games that support a VGA monitor, it's well worth it IMHO.

Enjoy your DC!

Well the DC can't support HD anyway so that doesnt matter. VGA will give you better resolution but honestly it doesnt really matter. It's useful for some stuff like DClinux as that won't centre on a normal TV.
    I wrote a tutorial on how to make an internal VGA circuit, it's in the hardware board, take a look its a fairly easy mod.

Acorn Electron User

I'd say it's worth it but I guess it depends on your opinion.

It's not going to make the games any better to play but will improve the crispness of the graphics and may make games run a little smoother due to the way the monitor redraws the screen in comparison to a telly.

I have my PAL DC connected to a 17" Diamondtron monitor with a black VGA box that I got from Play Asia and I noticed quite an improvement in the shapness of the graphics compared to my previous set up which used a scart lead. Soul Calibur looks really good on VGA for instance as does Ikaruga.

I think it depends on whether you feel its worth the cost. I was lucky really as I got the monitor from work for nothing and the VGA Box was quite cheap and I bought it with some other stuff to help cut the shipping costs.

Worth noting is that not all games are compatible. Most are but a few won't work. Out of my collection of about 50 odd games, there's only 4 (all PAL) that don't work: Capcom Vs SNK, Bangia-O, Snow Surfers and Soul Fighter. The others that don't work: Hidden & Dangerous, Hydro Thunder, Tee Off and Gunbird 2 can be tricked to work using a DC-X import player disc or by doing the switch trick which involves moving the switch on the VGA box to the VGA setting when the DC makes an internal beep shortly after putting the disc in. Gunbird 2 suffers from some sort of slow down though which I can't explain.

You may need to invest in some speakers too as the VGA Box I have has a earphone socket for attaching speakers.

DCEmu Newbie

what is a scart lead as apposed to the vga box?

Quote Originally Posted by mxz600
    what is a scart lead as apposed to the vga box?
    A scart lead is used to plug a DC into a TV, it is the best picture quality available on a TV.
    A VGA box is basically an adaptor to tell the Dreamcast to produce a VGA signal to be used on a PC monitor, this will have a higher resolution than a standard TV.

I'm surprised that you dont know what a scart lead is.

DCEmu Newbie

Question

YOUR SURPRISED! im surprised that you think i should know what SCART meants..... not being saucy but hookups to TV are Svideo, Composite and component video. Oh and Co-axial cable.

SCART?

Cool

I definitely think the VGA hook-up is worth it. And most games do work with the "switch trick" at least with the VGA I've got..I've had it soo long I'm not even sure where I bought it.

there's also the trick of grounding pin 6(???) instead of 7(???) to boot up non vga games like kof 99

and ya I don't know what the hell is the deal with gunbird 2 slowing down so much in vga

Quote Originally Posted by mxz600
    YOUR SURPRISED! im surprised that you think i should know what SCART meants..... not being saucy but hookups to TV are Svideo, Composite and component video. Oh and Co-axial cable.

SCART?
    Don't worry, SCART is a Euro thing. I don't know, but I think it's the equivalent of S-Video or perhaps component. Since you're not familiar with it, I'll assume your from North America somewhere (as am I).

As I said way up there, VGA is worth it, but I guess it really depends on your setup. S-Vid on a big screen is super sweet too. 20 or 30 bones for a VGA adapter and I don't think you'll be sorry with the purchase.

Cheers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information