Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 〓★〓diy a psp gps cable〓★〓

the cable from china would only work with "phat" psp.. there is no way to hook up holux via top usb socket on the psp so don't count on it...
    we are still working, investigating if slim models would work with holux..so hang on..

DCEmu Newbie

> there is no way to hook up holux via top usb socket

Thank you for answering. I guess the Holux 236 cannot be used here, because serially it only is running 38400bps. So the interesting question is, what type of interfacing is used between PSP-290 and PSP. As far as i have heard, data rate is 4800bps and level must be around 3V-TTL. Using USB connectors must not mean, also USB protocol will be used and in this case i cannot imagine, they are using it.
    I have ordered a PSP-290 for finding out it's "secrets". In case conventional 4800bps serial NMEA data ( using 3V-TTL ) would be accepted, there is a choice of usable receivers on market.

Klaus

BouncE asked me how i made my cable and i havent had time to post some scematics on it but he sent me a PM with a drawing he had some questions about and it looked like this:

Almost spot on
    The only diffrence is that i havent made my USB -> Minis USB + Power cable myselve, i got my cable from a gamestore for about 2$

Other than that it was spot on
    You just connect the USB Male + FEMALE cable in series and then add a resistor and route a cable from the resistor to the Serial cable, then you route ground from the serial cable to USB ground

If you want a LED as i have then just add another Resistor and Led and connect that directly on the USB cables too This LED lights up when powered by the USB -> Carcigarette adaptor and shows the unit is powered.

Then it all should be set up nicely.
    From PCB to two USB cables "One male that goes to Power cigg adaptor and one Female that allows you to connect a USB -> mini USB + Power cable so it will both provide signal + current to charge tour PSP and GPS unit I added some sound out cables at a later time by just soldering them to the PCB directly where the serial cable is connected.

Ill try to take some time and make a detailed scematic on my cable just bear with me

I think you get the idea from this in the mean time

Edit: Added a USB Pinout:

DCEmu Newbie

One question... Why did you made this thing... Is the Holux able to charge while in use with Mapthis.?!

Or what was your intention to make this?!

Or did you want to add additionally AudioPlugs or want to experiment with this?!

Quote Originally Posted by kamatschka View Post
    One question... Why did you made this thing... Is the Holux able to charge while in use with Mapthis.?!

Or what was your intention to make this?!

Or did you want to add additionally AudioPlugs or want to experiment with this?!
    The cable i got that was factorymade did have Sound output but it wont charge the PSP or the Holux when its connected, and i would hate myselve if i was driving and suddenly all power drains and i get blank screens or GPS goes offline

My cable was just and attempt of correcting this flaw "as i saw it" and make a cable that charged both GPS unit + PSP and it works fine.

Yes you can still use the PSP and GPS when theyre charging, that was the whole idea

Sound output was added just because the cable i got had one and because the PSP unit mutes the speekers when you insert the remote plug, and i dont want to cut the tip because that solution dosent work with TA Mobos.
    The GPS stops sending data on that Mobo PSP if you cut the tip.

Havent tested it on my slim but i hate to ruin good cables
    And i love to make things a little more for my needs
    Ive worked with Gameconsoles/DVD players almost my whole life "modding them and making my own solutions and modchips" this is a peice of cake compared

Ps. i saw about three (3) questions and i answered them all
    Ds.

DCEmu Regular

I like the concept PDG but that seems like a cable mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Codaz View Post
    I like the concept PDG but that seems like a cable mess.
    Codaz you little skeptich *Lol*
    Its only a Prototype

DCEmu Newbie

now I understand... i didnt know that the Holux shown on the Pics is able to communicate whyle charging... That explains it...

Quote Originally Posted by kamatschka View Post
    now I understand... i didnt know that the Holux shown on the Pics is able to communicate whyle charging... That explains it...
    No worries
    The left picture is showing the PSP+Holux being charged at the same time the Holux provides the PSP with GPS signals

The right pic is just showing the wiring "what goes where" and its not plugged in to a powersource

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/sho...8&postcount=15

But the idea that i went with was both charging PSP + GPS and having MapThis running at all time

Default Generic GPS Cable Scematics ( Holux ) - Better late than never!

Hi there.

A while ago i promised some scematics of my cable but i didnt have time to finish them, now i did have some time and i think i got it right

Please doublecheck before soldering, and remeber i warned you.
    Im dead tired but here goes :thumbup:

I will make a FAT PSP and a SLIM PSP cable tutorial but i havent recived a Slim Remote so if anyone want to contribute with say two slim remotecables i would appreciate it :thumbup: and make a guide for the Slim ones too

This Guide is for the FAT PSP - The old ones

First off all we start with cutting a Test PCB circuitboard up, just mark up with a pen where you want the lines and cut in each end like this and bend it untill it snaps in two.

Now we just decide how to connect the cables to the PCB and yhis is the layout i went with, this way just to be on tah safe side i cant short + and -

After that is settled we solder on some wires, note that the second USB male is Optional just if you want to power up your PSP and GPS so it will charge when driving. And the USB Female can be switched for a Mini-USB Male cable if you want to skip the Charging feature for both PSP + GPS unit.

After the USB cables are soldered to place we solder on the Remote cables as following.

Now its time to solder a Resistor to the PCB just in case the unit sends some extra current, this is a precaution and some people dont use a resistor but better to be safe than sorry and ending up with a broken PSP eeh. :thumbup: Note that the value on the Resistor may vary depending on what cables and the lenght of it, its natural for cables to act as a resistor so feel free to experiment with the values.
    a value of 1K ohm seems to do the trick for most users.

This step is only a extra feature to my cable, it will light up a LED when the cable is powered by and external source and show that it has current running trough, and also show when the cable is able to charge both PSP and GPS unit

This Guide is for the SLIM PSP - The new thin ones

NOTE! that im not finished with this guide because i dont have two Slim Remotecables, and as i said before if anyone *Wink wink* would like to donate me two cables i can complete this tut for Slim owners.

First off all we start with cutting a Test PCB circuitboard up, just mark up with a pen where you want the lines and cut in each end like this and bend it untill it snaps in two.

Now we just decide how to connect the cables to the PCB and yhis is the layout i went with, this way just to be on tah safe side i cant short + and -

After that is settled we solder on some wires, note that the second USB male is Optional just if you want to power up your PSP and GPS so it will charge when driving. And the USB Female can be switched for a Mini-USB Male cable if you want to skip the Charging feature for both PSP + GPS unit.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information