Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Homebrew Ideas/Suggestions

Emulators were what I was expecting to hear... But emulation isn't an idea, it's already well thought of. I want to see CREATIVE programs coming out for the PSP like the Etch a Sketch proggie. Maybe a MSPaint style program would be neat that saves the image you drew.

I want to see the linux kernal.

I want to see some old PC Games:
    Star Wars Dark Forces
    Duke Nukem 3D and Manhattan Project
    Serious Sam
    Diablo
    Star Trek Armada

Or a program/guide that walks you through how to do such conversion to PSP for old PC games like that (Like Doom and Doom II have seen)

Quote Originally Posted by Cross
    I want to see some old PC Games:
    Star Wars Dark Forces
    Duke Nukem 3D and Manhattan Project
    Serious Sam
    Diablo
    Star Trek Armada

Or a program/guide that walks you through how to do such conversion to PSP for old PC games like that (Like Doom and Doom II have seen)
    your talking x86 emulation. i guess.

guess that would be easier lol

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Allergenetic
    Emulators were what I was expecting to hear... But emulation isn't an idea, it's already well thought of. I want to see CREATIVE programs coming out for the PSP like the Etch a Sketch proggie. Maybe a MSPaint style program would be neat that saves the image you drew.
    I think the DS is much more suited for something like this then a PSP...in fact it would be a waste to develop such a program for the PSP.

Thats where the strengths and weaknesses of both portables come into play. Theres alot more innovation to be had on the DS, but more power on the PSP. I personally dont expect many innovative things on PSP homebrew, but I have high hopes for the DS, and its already showing alot of promise in that field.

What I expect out of the PSP is lots of emulation, and maybe a dosbox type program. And I think this is the type of stuff we will see for it...but if you want painting programs...I think you bought the wrong system

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Terial
    theretocily you could emulate a PS2 on a PSP because the PS2 has a processor with a clockrate of 332Mhz (I may be wrong if so correct me). while this may work on paper, it would probably never happen
    It will definitely never happen. Just to set it straight, PS2's Emotion Engine CPU clockspeed is 294.912MHz (not 332MHz) and PS2's GS runs at 147.456MHz (compared with the PSP GPU's 166MHz max), but at the end of the day clockspeed has little to do with it. The large overhead required for emulation would rule it out in any case, but the insurmountable hurdle for PS2 emulation on PSP is that the Emotion Engine is a MIPS R5900 (MIPS 4) chip, whereas PSP's CPU is a MIPS R4000 (MIPS 3). In that sense PSP's CPU is a generation behind, despite its faster maximum clockspeed. In short: you can forget about it.

BTW, DC uses GD-ROMs.

dreamcast has been completly emulated on a pc, it will be impossible to emulated on the psp it just isn't powerful enough no videogame system is currentlt not even the the Xbox wiht its beefy 733 mhz processer, we had even seen a perfected psx emu on a console as of yet so lets do that before we think of the dc

I'm not currently in a position to write PSP homebrew stuff, so this is just my dream list of things that I'd like to see on the PSP someday (that I think are realistic). It should be noted that I believe one of the cornerstones of the current community is easily portable source code.

• Quake
      Because the source code is available, I don't think it is outside the realm of possibility for quake to be ported. In a perfect world, it would be GLQuake with working network support.
    • p2p
      A peer to peer file sharing application would be keen as it would allow people to easily share homebrew apps as well as other files.
    • web browser
      A fairly robust web browser would be nice as a standalone app. I personally don't expect to ever see flash support on the PSP, but it would be handy to have a nice standalone browser. This could be a port firefox or some other open source browser.
    • file manager
      An robust orthogonal file manager similar to norton commander, midnight commander (open source), or total commander.
    • mp3/ogg player with vis
      An mp3/ogg music player with a nice visualization feature would be nice. The PS1 had something like that when playing CDs. I imagine it was left out of the PSP because it would shorten battery life, but I'd like to see it as a feature. xmms is open source and has a vis plugin framework with many open source plugins. It would probably be a pain to port, but that's an idea for a starting place.

I'm sure there are other things I'll think of later. There are lots of simple games that could probably be ported. In particular, something like scorched earth/xscorch (similar to Worms) would be a great hotseat (or networked) game. There are also lots of cool games like bzflag, freeciv, nethack/(z)angband/moria, etc. that are open source and would be nice to have ported.

However, some of these things are dependent on getting good hardware 3D support working and/or getting network support working, but I'm sure those features will come in time. We are at the beginning. If Sony doesn't try to destroy the homebrew community in a brutal way, things can only get much, much better.

I would LOVE to see scorch/xscorch/scorched earth make an apperance on the DC and the PSP!!!! good suggestion malachi!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information