Thread: Emulators on DC really worth it?

Default Emulators on DC really worth it?

ok heres the deal, i hear about people playing emulators on there DC and it would defintely give me something to do with my DC since i dont play it anymore. but i heard that if u use CDs, instead of the GD-Roms, it could damage the laser in the DC. so im asking is it worth it, if it breaks the laser? i mean i have 3 other systems that play emulators so it wouldnt be a hugh deal if i didnt do it but it looks like fun. also is burning dreamcast games the same case? will it destroy the laser too? but i also hear that it is hard to make a bootable CD.

Homebrew stuff will not damage the laser. The problem is if you use backups of official games on CD.
    Thisi s really a great console if you want to run emulators

Acorn Electron User

The emulators are usually very small files compared to full games and once the emu has been loaded into the DC's memory, disc access tends to be infrequent/non existent apart from loading additional games or restarting etc. So the chance of drive/laser wear is minimal.

I would have thought that playing an audio CD theoretically could cause more wear on the laser and the DC has been designed to play audio CDs so I think the odd emu won't hurt.

Thread Information