Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WiiCR - Wii Media Center cancelled

Blog Entries

Rev WiiCR - Wii Media Center cancelled

Heres the details from the homepage:

Well its been fun. Im officially retiring from development of this project with the reason being I am utterly bored with the nintendo wii software library and sick to death of the 1/2 arsed opera browser.
    Sorry to sound bitter but I will not be buying another nintendo console, I was there for the n64 and gamecube both of which didnt share the wii's initial success but are carbon copys of the wii's pathetic game release cycle.
    Expect to see the tired old argument "We are not focused on hardcore gamers" to be used constantly to explain: lack of games, yet another minigame compilation, xbox/ ps2/psp ports and general piss poor software library.
    The only game I am interested in playing on the Wii in the near future is mariokart, but given that nintendo has pushed it back yet again it became the final straw for myself. I sold my wii for $300au with all original equipment so I didnt lose out to much.
    What console next, well for my the ps3 seems ideal for several key points:
    Web browser is actually 1/2 decent from all reports
    linux support out the box
    bluetooth / wireless support
    free online gameplay etc
    The only thing that holds me back the current price, which will drop to my acceptable level soon enough.
    Should anyone wish to take over the project feel free. For myself it was always a curiosity seeing as I have a linux pc hooked up to my tv in the lounge.
    mem out

Each to their own i suppose

Im sorry to hear that the wii media center has been cancelled. i was looking forward to seeing it up and running.

DCEmu Newbie

Curious, what is the difference between 1/2 arsed and 1/2 decent. If something is 1/2 arsed then the is the rest 1/2 decent? If something is 1/2 decent then is the rest 1/2 arsed?

I agree with the software library and future upcoming titles. I am totally looking forward to Mario Cart, Mario Galaxy and a few other Nintendo 1st party titles, some 2nd and some 3rd party titles as well. However, when I see some of the killer upcoming PS3 titles, it is clear Nintendo will eventually be sitting at the number 3 spot for the Wii console.

I have a theory. I feel the Wii is a huge experiment by Nintendo. If they made a console on par with PS3/XBOX360 with the WiiMote and lost money on every console they made and it flopped, Nintendo would never potentially never be able to develop a home console again and would have to stick to the handheld console market.

Now that the Wii is a success and gamers are letting it be known that they are unhappy with the choice of games for the Wii, I imagine a new Wii will be out in 3 years or maybe 2, that is as powerful as a PS3 or Xbox360.

Vincent D. Brumback

Sad he's leaving and sad he talks crap

DCEmu Newbie

I don't think he's talking crap - he's voicing his opinion based on a lot more time invested in the Wii than most people on the forums.

Since I've never really been too interested with most of the 3rd party tools (hardware or software), it doesn't affect me. But I don't think we should just dismiss his point of view because "he's no longer a Nintendo fan".

He's bitter that he'd not made any headway with the project I think, it's been dead in the water for months... The whole denouncing Nintendo thing scores highly on the 'I'm big blubby prat' meter.

XBMC is a daunting project to try to live up to, I can't say I didn't see this coming from a mile away. Nintendo's catalogue of software will improve over time, there is enough out there to keep my interest piqued and it's too early to let loose the fanboy cannons.

I know new homebrew is always a good thing, but a chipped/softmodded xbox can be bought 2nd hand pretty cheap, can take a huge HDD with little effort and (as AngelicLiver said) XBMC is one very high mark to be compared with.

The best bit of news i've heard in a while on here. I am sick of my Wii quite frankly, Smash Bros? Only reason I have a Wii. All the othergames are garbage and you ALL know that!

Resident Evil 4-Good
    Wii sports-Good
    Smash Bros-Will Be GOD LIKE!

and thats it. PS3=More integrated environment to work from. It is better and like he said, is compatible with Linux from square one. The Wii? Blocked homebrew even from the Gamecube method. All you dumb people im sure upgraded your Wii's......me? No. I'm not an idiot.

DCEmu Newbie

Sounds like he was just in the closet.
    He loved sony all this time, but just was able to admit it.
    Look at the DS. It took almost 1 year for good games to come out. Now, almost all big company releases are very anticipated while nobody cares what is released for the PS[Fill in blank].

Quote Originally Posted by paul1991 View Post
    Sounds like he was just in the closet.
    He loved sony all this time, but just was able to admit it.
    Look at the DS. It took almost 1 year for good games to come out. Now, almost all big company releases are very anticipated while nobody cares what is released for the PS[Fill in blank].
    almost funny.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information