Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One from the What If Only Dept

Blog Entries

General games One from the What If Only Dept

Im sure many people will remember the CD Drive add on for the Snes that Nintendo eventually turned down and what was released later as the PSX(PSOne) well on our Dreamcast site theres a post about a prototype Disc drive for the Dreamcast. If only it had been mass produced then we could have had a fantastic option for what remains one of the very best homebrew scenes.

More details at DC News

Makes you wonder what other prototypes have been shelved that were actually decent.

DCEmu Legend

No offense to the die-hard DC homebrew veterans but I really must be missing something because I recently found my Dreamcast and it was the older homebrew-capable one so I was excited and started making self-boot emulator discs and stuff but it seemed as though all of the emulators available for the Dreamcast are not full speed with fully working sound.

Not the best compatibility either.

What am I missing? Where is all this homebrew that makes the Dreamcast have "one of the very best homebrew scenes" ???

Aside only from maybe the original XBOX, I'd think the PSP has the BEST homebrew scene hands down...

Any arguments?

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by wraggster View Post
    what was released later as the PSX(PSOne)
    The PSX was a prototype. A production Sony PSX appeared many years later, but it's a PS2/HDD recorder combo only available in Japan and totally unrelated to the 90s prototype which entered production as the Sony Playstation. Pet peeve of mine. :P

either way, the psx was a success and grew to live on until the ps3 which seems like a marketing failure right now until the ps3 can get some good games

Quote Originally Posted by Veskgar View Post
    No offense to the die-hard DC homebrew veterans but I really must be missing something because I recently found my Dreamcast and it was the older homebrew-capable one so I was excited and started making self-boot emulator discs and stuff but it seemed as though all of the emulators available for the Dreamcast are not full speed with fully working sound.

What am I missing? Where is all this homebrew that makes the Dreamcast have "one of the very best homebrew scenes" ???

Aside only from maybe the original XBOX, I'd think the PSP has the BEST homebrew scene hands down...

Any arguments?
    same question.. someone please answer

Quote Originally Posted by Veskgar View Post

Any arguments?
    The Dreamcast had basically the first big homebrew scene. There was almost no homebrew scene for the PSX, the N64 can't run unsigned code on the actual hardware, and the Saturn also had almost no homebrew scene. The Dreamcast homebrew scene was also big since almost all Dreamcasts are homebrew compatible. All you need for homebrew on a Dreamcast is a CD burner, no modchip or anything.

dunno about the dreamcast, back when i did have all the boot disks and most of the emulators and yea i cannot seem to remember any of them worth playing

thats when my DC moved into the other room to take its place as "internet appliance" and nothing more, and the little 500mhz pizzabox compaq i had took over the tv as emulator central, + media box

pc of course is the ultimate emu machine, but the psp has taken over all my needs becuase its just so durn handy

the dreamcast on the other hand is still sitting in the spare bedroom with dust on it

the only thing about the dreamcast being such an AWESOME scene is that it was the first cheap tv console powerful enugh to run emulators

disk drive on the dreamcast, eh were talking about 1999 here burning a cd wasnt a life changing process (like it was when the playstation came out) just abit tedious if you like to fidget with your games alot

This has nothing to do with the PSP. Why is it on the PSP news front page?

I say it should go in the Could Of Pile

East of Lost Angels , West of Victom Ville

I still use my DC for playing nes, gb, and yes even atari, on my tv. I'm too oldschool. oh yeah not to mention mvc2 and all the other cool dc games i have.
    It may be stupid but i required every one in the house to play the DC before letting them play PS2. Now the kids love supermariobros better than the more complex newer games, and now the DC gets as much playing time as my PS2 and Xbox

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information