Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PSP: Daedalus blog update - 19 September 2007 - Back Online

DCEmu Pro

psp PSP: Daedalus blog update - 19 September 2007 - Back Online

Source: StrmnNrmn's blog

People have been a little impatient and worried about the sudden absence of the infamous Daedalus PSP developer StrmnNmrn, but no reason to worry; the developer just updated his blog, explaining it. Here you have the full post:

Apologies for the lack of updates. I've not had internet access at home since moving flat at the end of August. My ADSL was activated today so I'm finally up and running again. I can't believe how long it's taken!

Between the flat move and a busy few weeks at work (getting ready for the Tokyo Game Show) I've not had that much time to work on Daedalus, but I have made some progress on a really cool feature people have been asking for for some time, namely savestate support.

For those not familiar with savestates, the basic premise is very much like 'hibernate' or sleep modes on PCs and laptops. A savestate can be created at any point during emulation. At a later time the savestate can be reloaded to restore the emulator to the exact state it was in when the savestate was created.

What's really useful about savestates is that they work even if the underlying save mechanism used by a rom isn't supported properly. I'm hoping that by adding savestate support Daedalus will become significantly more usable for many roms. Savestates also make development a lot easier as it means I can jump straight into the middle of a game when debugging/profiling rather than sitting through the title sequence dozens of times.

I still have a little bit of work left to do on the savestate system, mostly on the UI side, but there are a number of additional optimisations I want to finish off before I release R13. I'm currently planning to get everything ready for release on either the weekend of the 29th Sept, or possibly the first weekend in October.

-StrmnNrmn

Thanks for updating us, StrmnNrmn!

Woo thanks blackrave!

Savestate support sounds neat.

DCEmu Newbie

Hmm hardly any work has gone into it and yet it could be released next week?

I'd rather wait a few months untill something is perhaps full speed, i'll skip this one again like i did with R12.

Quote Originally Posted by StrmnNrmn
    I'm currently planning to get everything ready for release on either the weekend of the 29th Sept, or possibly the first weekend in October.
    Knowing him, we may have to wait until November.

DCEmu Pro

Quote Originally Posted by IDidMyTime View Post
    Hmm hardly any work has gone into it and yet it could be released next week?

I'd rather wait a few months untill something is perhaps full speed, i'll skip this one again like i did with R12.
    Hehe, a lot of improvements have been made, I tell you. Just look up the older posts from StrmnNrmn. StrmnNrmn is just underestimating his own work. You'll see.

It's good news that StrmnNrmn has settled in his new flat now. I'm looking very much forward to the update being released, it should only be a week or two till now.

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by burrito View Post
    Knowing him, we may have to wait until November.
    Nah, I doubt that. And what do you mean? He has kept his release dates very precise earlier, except for that one time, which people won't let go of. We should all be very glad that he's devoting so much time to work on it, and then sharing it with us for free.

Shoot i cant wait for this release its gonna be a good one for sure. But we gonna have to wait for full compatibility once that will happen the psp will the best.

Strmnrmn always sticks to his word for release dates, so don't be worried. Savestates is a nice feature. I was looking for a huge improvement on his blog due to how long he hasn't responded. Anyways before that he had some nice speed ups.

DCEmu Newbie

That is great progress. I wasnt even worried about save states though. I understand why he has to have them for development. So cool!!!

damn he took forever to update....better late than never, though

Finally an Update. Glad to hear savestates are being added.

Next week is going to be great, Halo 3 and Daedalus R13.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information