Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PSP sales rocket in Japan

Blog Entries

General games PSP sales rocket in Japan

via gibiz

Sales of the PlayStation Portable have increased by over six times on the previous week's figure, according to the latest data available from Media Create.

The handheld sold 95,487 units in the week ending September 16, up from 15,564 the week before. Sales of other consoles remained stable from the previous week, with the Nintendo DS in second place with 79,974, and the Wii in third shifting 26,181 units.

One of the reasons for the PSP's sudden jump in popularity could be the release of Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII on that format - the title sold 487,000 copies in its debut week.

Full hardware figures:

1. PlayStation Portable: 95,487

2. Nintendo DS: 79,974

3. Nintendo Wii: 26,181

4. PlayStation 2: 13,128

5. PlayStation 3: 13,101

6. Xbox 360: 1243

7. Game Boy Advance: 836

8. Nintendo GameCube: 97

DCEmu Rookie

Wow! Proof, if proof were needed, that software sells hardware. Good on you Sony, and good for me too - more PSP hardware in the world = lower second hand prices when I'm ready to buy one :-)

Hmmm, not really this is all down to Final Fantasy.
    if I remember correctly, it has been stated on this forum that the FF:CC PSP Slim and Lite has sold out in Japan, now there were 77,777 of those, so this weeks sales of 95,487 should be minus the FF:CC ones to give you an impression of what the normal Slim and Lite has sold, to my equations it is in the region of 18,190 (ish) about the same as what has sold in Britain.
    It only managed to sell 15,000 more than the DS Lite, which doesnt have any special releases this week.
    Not trying to knock the console, just pointing out a few things, especially as a couple of the PSP's sold there this week are on the way to me

Mike..

I'm not surprised - FF7 CC is a cracking game!

psp psp psp psp yeah more games more sales !)

DCEmu Legend

WOW! Not used to seeing those numbers for the PSP. Although the PSP Slim & Lite was not the redesign many hoped for, it has nonetheless been redesigned to a great extent as revealed by those disassembly articles. And it is very much improved. Looking at pictures of it doesn't do it justice. Hold one in your hand and play around with it and you'll see a big difference.

With great games and improved hardware, the PSP Slim & Lite has a nice future ahead.

Its also good because SONY will be forced to constantly try and squeeze more features in the firmware for the PSP to continually evolve.

Whoa, it's incredible that the PSP right now is selling more than the DS Lite and Wii consoles. Let's see how long it can hold the top spot for.

Quote Originally Posted by YKB View Post
    Whoa, it's incredible that the PSP right now is selling more than the DS Lite and Wii consoles. Let's see how long it can hold the top spot for.
    It'll probably drop to second or third soon.

But regardless it'll do good with future releases such as Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops 2

holy crap, the psp just outsold the ds for 1 week. i'm surprised this news hasn't been shouted all over the gaming world.

DCEmu Rookie

it doesnt apply much 2 usa, WE NEED COLOURS!!!!!!!!!!!!! BLUE PURPLE PINK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! edit: i forgot simpsons yellow & spiderman red!!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information